Rankin's pass - A short report on a long day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Today was one long day. I started out at 5:30 this morning, and got home exactly 12 hours later. All in all 615 Kilometers.
I went from Centurion to Thabadzimbi, then did Rankins pass and then just followed my nose through the gravel roads to Bela Bela. From Bela Bela I was going to ride home, but changed my mind because that road really sucks. (The R101). So instead went back to Koedoeskop and home from there.
Right at the beginning of the gravel I met three other riders coming from the front. I didn’t get their names, but if you guys read this, please contact me via or by replying to this thread.
Only did about 120 Kilos gravel, but that is the beauty of tar – takes you to the far away gravel places quickly.

100_2275.jpg

First break – still on tar here, but have had a breakfast at Umfulu.
100_2277.jpg

Serviced the Basterbrak yesterday – check how clean she is. That was not to stay!
100_2287.jpg

After leaving the tarmac I saw some wildlife close up.
100_2289.jpg

And on the other side of the fence.
100_2290.jpg

I also saw this elephant!
100_2291.jpg

Isn’t she beautiful?
100_2292.jpg

Strange rock formations.
100_2293.jpg

Close – up of the strange rock formations.
100_2295.jpg

Beautiful scenery. Rankins pass is not much of a pass, the other pass – called Jan Trichardtpass – is much better. What you can’t see in this photo is the gorge between myself and the rock formations in this photo. The bush was so dense I could only hear the river.
100_2297.jpg

Arty Farty shot of the Kenda.
100_2298.jpg

Coming out of the pass, I noticed the signpost does not even mention Rankins pass, although on my map it mentions Rankins and not Jan TrichardtPass

100_2302.jpg

From the pass up to Alma the road was mostly good, but turning south it quickly deteriorated into this – deep sand with corrugations. By now it was time for a bite to eat and a rest though.
100_2304.jpg

A last photo of the road to Bela Bela, I found this old building and thought a photo of the Brak would look good.

Thanks to Groenie and Welsh, whose ride reports on the area is what got me to do this ride.

Overall impression of the ride – Except for patches of deep sand it was a very nice ride, nothing technical. Any newby should be able to ride this if they’re careful.

That’s me out – having a frosty now and looking forward to my bed!

Looks great LD. I am planning a trip up there and I cant find Jan Trichardtpass on Mapsource, where can I find it?

Also looked for it and then found reference to Rankins Pass which is also known as Jan Trichardtpas.  Starting 24 31 21 S 27 31 02 E  and ending 24 32 06 S  27 53 39 E.
Looks like a great stretch that LD has found for all

Jovan said:
Looks great LD. I am planning a trip up there and I cant find Jan Trichardtpass on Mapsource, where can I find it?

The keeper is right, if you ride through Thabazimbi and follow the board to Marakele National park and then ride past the park until you get to a T - junction, you have done both Rankins and Jan Trichardtpas.
As Welsh said though, it is great riding, but don't expect much of a pass, it's just a few uphills and downhills, nothing to write home about.

Nice report - lekker pics - thanks. 

That's a nice part of the world.  I worked near Koedoeskop in the early seventies and loved it.

LeonDude said:
Jovan said:

The keeper is right, if you ride through Thabazimbi and follow the board to Marakele National park and then ride past the park until you get to a T - junction, you have done both Rankins and Jan Trichardtpas.
As Welsh said though, it is great riding, but don't expect much of a pass, it's just a few uphills and downhills, nothing to write home about.

If you like more sand and gravel take the gravel route via Assen, then Rooiberg bringing you out at the 4 way at Thabazimbi then just puul a right, at the top of Rankins pull a left over Bekkers Pass, seen all sorts including Ele over that pass it ends on the Vaalwater Road. :biggrin:

Hi there,

That was me and my two friends you met there    ;D.

We haven't done Rankins at that stage yet. We slept over at Montane Lodge just up the road and was on our way to Thaba for some breakfast. Did Rankins with Groenie a coouple of months before. It is a very stunning road though. We turned left towards Vaalwater where we camped that evening.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=36164.0

:ricky:

Nice report Leon Dude, man I miss the bushveld sooo bad. We really must get back to SA soon.

I was on the YELLOW F800GS with GSJeri who stopped to chat . . .