Reuben Xaus for BMW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
From IOL:
BMW's first World Superbike rider will be Spaniard Ruben Xaus.

BMW has announced that Xaus has signed a two-year-contract to ride the Blue Propeller Company's S1000 RR in its first foray into World Superbike racing.

Xaus has been a WSB regular since 1998, mostly for Ducati, and has taken 10 wins and 34 podiums.

BMW vice-president for development said: "Ever since we announced that we would enter the 2009 World Superbike championship there's been a lot of speculation about the bike and who would ride it.

"Everybody has already seen our S1000 RR race bike and today we can name one of the riders who will join us in this great adventure in 2009.

"We know that World Superbikes is a hard and competitive series but we're not entering to make up the numbers - we want to win!

"Of course, we are starting with a brand new bike but with Ruben we believe we can progress quickly and maybe surprise a few people along the way."

Xaus commented: "When I met the BMW guys I was very impressed by their commitment, their passion for racing and their ideas about the future.

"It's not often you get the chance to start a completely new project and I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

"It'll be tough racing a new bike but I believe BMW will give me a good bike and great support and that's all I ask for."

Unbelievable - they're obviously quite serious about this...