Rev counter in ten minutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Many times with smaller bikes or no frills ds bikes you tend not to have some extras like rev counters or tachometers as the Yanks would say. Well I have found a small rev counter that really works well and is super easy to install, took me all of ten minutes. It's called the GPT micro rpm and comes in at 40 grams and is 69 mm by 26 mm in size so you can mount it anywhere.

MRPM2001.jpg

You only have to wrap the yellow pick up wire around your ht lead three or four times and that is it ! The little unit has it's own battery so no need to splice into the bikes wiring to get 12v. It works on two and four strokes, 1 - 8 cylinders and a max of 25 000rpm. On the DR the unit needs to be set to the two stroke setting as it fires on every rotation even the exhaust stroke. It's waterproof, I tested this by having to ride home in the pouring rain  :mad:

The increments comes in 100's eg. 1500 rpm - 1600rpm etc. The update is instant so there is no jumping around in the display and figuring out what rpm's you are really doing. Another neat function is that it can display your max rpm reached after a ride. It switches off and on with the bikes ignition.

The unit is made in Italy and is part of a micro range of displays which includes anything from lap times, water temp, oil temp etc. The only drawback is the fact that it has no backlight so at night it's not really going to be much use. I made this little video to show you where I mounted mine.

Overall I'm really impressed with the little unit. I got mine from Runner on the forum, he sells them for R620. I have not seen them in the shops that I can recall.