Ride to Vaalwater area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HVDM

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
On Friday I had to go to a site for work near Vaalwater. I decided to ride up since I didnt need to take equipment up. I left at 0630 and got on the N4, joining the poor bastards who do that commute to Joburg. Unfortunately the turnoff onto the Pietersburg highway is the same as the one to Joburg. You have tyo brave the taxis blocking the zones beyond the yellow line, and others cutting you off within cm of your legs. Those of you that do this daily must have a death wish.

Once on the Pietersburg highway its clear and only tolls to stop for. The number of speed traps keeps your speed down to 130. Especially on a friday when they need weekend money.

I turned off just after Hammanskraal, and stopped to have a coffee out of my flask

29012010small.jpg

Then the R101 to Warmbaths. Some harvester either didint see me or didnt care and just pulled out onto the road, but plenty of time to grab the brakes hard. The swearing in the helmet was not appropriate for the new south africa he he!

After breakfast in Warmbaths,

29012010001small.jpg

29012010002small.jpg

I took the old road to Nylstroom then Vaalwater. After that its gravel. To my shock  I saw they were grading the road, so it was all ripped up loose sand on one half and racing cattle trucks in both directions on the other. Far safer in the loose sand, but very slow and exhausting.

29012010001small-1.jpg

Off the gravel road, onto a smaller sand road, then reached my destination

29012010003small.jpg

29012010004small.jpg

29012010005small.jpg

Was there for installation and testing for the water supply of a new lodge.
29012010011small.jpg

29012010013small.jpg

29012010015small.jpg

29012010019small.jpg

29012010020small.jpg

On the way back they had finished grading so the road was even worse and deeper sand. Its very strenuous on your wrists and shoulders. Then between vaalwater and nylstroom I hit rain.

the only other excitment on the way back was when I was stopped under an overpass a carload slammed on brakes and stopped in front of me and started walking towards me. I moved my jacket back, they saw the very large firearm strapped tere and decided to get back in the car and drive away. Its hardly safe to stop anywhere on the roads anymore.

By the time I got home my bum, wrists, legs, back and neck were sore. The difference joy riding and work is that you cant just stop when you are tired. You must press on. But it was a nice day and the first 500 km day on my new bike. Its just over 2000 km now.