riders in the storm - south lesotho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlw

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Dougd, myself and Alan left East London at 7am for Matatiele and on to Ramatselio's Gate to get to Sehlabathebe National Park on Saturday 2 May. 80kms out -flat on Al's bike. Problem was it was the third in 2 weeks. Looked inside tyre wall and huge cut that was pinching the tube - would think the fello repairing the puncture at the bike shop would investigate the cause - but nooo.

DSCN1232-1.jpg

Back to EL to get new tyre. 3hr delay which would have repercussions later!

Lunch in Maclear at the Royal Hotel
DSCN1235.jpg

Got to Matatiele at 5pm border at Ramatselio's Gate closed at 4pm. Bliksem! Detour to Qacha's Nek which closes at 8pm. Did shopping in Matat and rode like the clappers to get there at 7pm. But it was a hell of a detour and only got to Sehlabathebe National Park Lodge in pitch darkness at 10pm. Was one of those rides when you can see bugger all but you can just sense the emptiness of a massive void next to the road. But the road was dry albeit very twisty and I looked forward to seeing the views the next day when we returned.

Got to the Lodge late and Roger and Chris from Ladybrand were ready for bed but starving as we had the food. All they had was a bottle of Bells, which just made them more tired. Cooked and socialsed until 12pm and after 15 hrs of riding the body said:'Goodnight'.

Next morning woke to a beautiful cloudless day and this amazing mountain right in front of this house in the middle of no-where. I mean no-where - no other sign of habitation.
DSCN1268.jpg

DSCN1274.jpg

IMG]https://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/charlwessels/DSCN1254-1.jpg[/IMG]
DSCN1254.jpg

This is it - a house full of ornate furniture in the wilderness with a track coming over the mountain towards it.
DSCN1256.jpg

Beautiful area - if we carries on with the track past this house we would have got to Bu8shmen's Nek. I think these photos are of the Devil's Knuckles?? Can anyone confirm.
DSCN1265.jpg

DSCN1262.jpg

Look at the beautiful blue sky - I was really looking forward to the ride today.
DSCN1279.jpg

DSCN1250.jpg

Around a couple of mountains and blue sky turned to black clouds and a snow storm. They say the weather can change very quickly in Lesotho and did it just.
DSCN1300.jpg

Rainsuit on as well as gloves, buff and beanie because it suddenly became VERY cold.
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1306.jpg

DSCN1304.jpg

DSCN1295.jpg

DSCN1293.jpg

DSCN1289-1.jpg

Had no view the previous night and now a wet view. But still magnificent.
DSCN1288.jpg

Alan enjoying his surroundings
DSCN1284.jpg

Myself enjoying the surroundings - was a blast
DSCN1289.jpg

Checking distances to next petrol pump.
DSCN1298.jpg

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

Lunch at Qachas Nek - R72 for 3 beef curries and coffee - what a bargain - opposite Pep Stores if you keen to sample the menu.
DSCN1308.jpg

From Qachas Nek to Tele Bridge is all tar - but what a road. If this (adventure riding) is your scene, then the views you experience along this stretch of road make it a must see.
DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1303.jpg

Eventually the sun came out and dried the place out.

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1314.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

The top of Lebelonyane Pass just before Mount Moorsoi
DSCN1320.jpg

DSCN1316.jpg

We stayed at Sterkspruit at Khaya Lodge. We arrived at about 7pm in the dark again and about 5km out from Sterkspruit about 4 picaninis took advantage of the darkness to through an empty beer bottle at me. Missed my knee but hit the side panel below the knee leaving ugly cuts on a once spotless KTM. I turned the bike to stick their heads up each others rectums, but they disappeared into the houses, bushes, darkness. After experiencing much friendliness in Lesotho, I was extremely disappointed to be greeted like this back in my home country.

DSCN1324.jpg

DSCN1326.jpg

DSCN1328.jpg

Headed off to Lady Grey and up Joubert's Pass. Quaint little town and worth a more lengthy stay in the future.
DSCN1331.jpg

This is the view down to Lady Grey from the top of Joubert's Pass
DSCN1334.jpg

More pics at the top
DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

More views of the Witteberg Mts
DSCN1337.jpg

After Barkly East, Elliott we hit a right turn at Tsomo to cross the Kei and head to Stutterheim. This is the causeway near Acton Caba or Gaikas Nek.
DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

That brought an end to three days of solid riding - an average of nine hrs in the saddle per day. I think next time we should stop a bit longer and smell the roses beers.

Nice One charlw, some very good pics there, looks like you guys had fun.

What a great ride  :thumleft: thanks for sharing, Very good photos there.

Damn we are spoilt for riding areas in this country  :biggrin:

Looked like a great ride and very envious, the pics tell the storey

See you guys took no chances with comms?
That Transalp rigged with antennaes!
:imaposer:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    202.2 KB
Great RR!!  :ricky:
I like that place where you stayed in the middle of nowhere - awesome!

Latest posts