Road conditions from Steynsburg to Kokstad ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udjeni

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Apologies that this is not a "dirt" question, but I figured someone around here might know anyway.  I am looking for recent information on the state of (any section of) the road from Middelburg in the Cape to say, Kokstad.  This is the R56 from Middelburg and on to Steynsburg, Molteno, Dordrecht, Indwe, Elliot, Ugie, Maclear, Tsolo (Maclear-Tsolo is the R396), and then the N2 to Mt Frere, Mt Ayliff and Kokstad.

I'll be riding from Cape Town to Durban in two weeks' time and need to get there in a day, so no time for lekker dirt roads, just time for a lekker long run.  :thumleft:  I know the "quickest" route is the N1, N5. N3, but that seems to be just a little bit too boring.  I know the bit through the old Transkei can be "crowded", but that does not bother me too much.  I've ridden most of that road at various times in the past, but it's been a few years and I have no idea about the Maclear - Tsolo section which looks the most suspect to me.  And yup, I know it can be fricken cold around Ugie/Maclear, so I will be watching the weather forecast. :)

I will be asking AA, but I am not sure how up to date their info is these days.

Information and opinions are welcome.
Thanks!