Road trip - off the beaten track - road conditions advice pls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasN

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Hey All,

Am busy planning a bit of a road trip with Jenni on the Triumph. It will be her first longish trip on the bike so I am breaking the trip down into smaller sections and it has to be tar all the way so as to keep her back happy.

The basic trip is a round trip to Dbn to see the extended family, but it starts with a Triumph RAT group run to Van Reenen where we overnight, then we leave them and do

Van Reenen - Ladysmith - Dundee - Greytown - Stanger - Kloof

then we are in Dbn for 3 days for the family and to hopefully get in a dive or 2

the next section I would like to do is Kloof - Himeville - Little Switzerland - Van Reenen. I am looking for suggestions here. On the Last trip in that area in the 4x4 we used the R617, from the N3 to Himeville, would like alternate options pls, but must be tar.

The GPS (set to no hiways and no toll roads) shows me the R103 then R623, P8-1 - P8-2 - D731 - P123 - R617 for the last section. Is that all tar?

We overnight in Van Reenen again and then do a casual drive through Golden Gate & Clarens, Fouriesburg to Ficksburg where we overnight again.

The last day is Ficksburg to Jhb.

Pls, has anybody got road condition info, suggestions for roads and interesting stops, scenic detours etc.

Also if anybody would like to meet up for coffee, lunch or dinner along the way, let me know.

Thanks

Douglas.