Round the World - Do you have beer we are coming to visit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOOI Mielies kan peekchaa's sien ja....wanneer update jy weer  piki-piki ???  :spitcoffee:

zetman said:
GOOI Mielies kan peekchaa's sien ja....wanneer update jy weer  piki-piki ???  :spitcoffee:

vandag  :deal: :biggrin:

read this today from start to finish...well hopefully not finished!?? i want to read more. will be on the iPad later making sure i catch the next episode.

What a fantastic RR. one of the best i have read so far! i am full of admiration for you guys.  the book title should be ..."beers of Africa"

:sip:

the book title should be ..."beers of Africa"
Not a bad idea  :thumleft:

Nope it is not finished, the blog was short entry, I add more pictures to these post, which were not possible at the time.

Weereens moerse dankie, Michnus.

Pics werk perfek, dankie. Ek't anyways net toegang tot WD van 13:00 - 14:00 en dan is als unblock, so ek kan mooi sien. :thumleft:

I completely agree with the coffee being the best  :thumleft:

I could never get enough "Traditional Coffee" in Addis.

The Injira and Tibs also had me on fire. Twice for each meal. But damn it was good!

And partying at the local taverns was a blast. The Ethiopian women are seriously good looking  :drif:

Attachments

• P1060173 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1060173 (600 x 450).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 622
  • P1060200 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1060200 (600 x 450).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 622
jupiter said:
Dis nou regtig 'n mooi RR  >:D
Thanks Jup  :biggrin:

Mr Zog, and we got it on some week or what what they had no meat only fasting food. Then it's it's hot and taste like shit  :patch: :)

Hey Michnus. So freaking glad you are continuing the review, it is really stuff from legends quality. The pictures work great. Also the type off stuff that you post add to the soal of the review. Its really top quality.  :thumleft:

This was the second time we were trying to get away from Addis but the VW stuttered to a halt 60 kilometres outside of the city. Addis was holding us back not letting us go from her spell and with some luck also the cold beers! Or maybe just the VW that was full of shit?!

Martijn had a slightly worried smug grin on his face as we push him and the VW up the hill to a monastery. The 1972 VW just gave a huff and a puff going up a hill and stopped dead in its tracks like a tired Ethiopian donkey.

ethiopia%20circle%20route-L.jpg
Green route Lalibela loop

It all started days before while savouring some cold StGeorge beers and Bitterballen with newly arrived vagabonds in the shady courtyard of Wim’s Holland house in Addis Ababa.

ethiopia-1-33%20%281312%20x%20921%29-L.jpg
VW only made it 60km out of Addis

ethiopia-1-34%20%281153%20x%20929%29-L.jpg

Ethiopian powered VW

……..but let me first take you back a bit … The initial duration for our trip we planned was 6 months, well, that was the time we could afford to steal to get from SA to Europe. As we toured up into Africa it slowly but surely dawned on us that rushing a trip like this would be the biggest mistake we could make.
We met many well-seasoned travellers who gave advice and routes and listening to their advice, it was clear as day we would rob ourselves of a monumental awe-inspiring experience and miss the true aromas and tastes of Africa. Heading for Uganda we finally decided to gear back to first and put the trip on a slow cruise.

Our six months would be nearly over by the time we reach Ethiopia. The trip was the start of an on-going project, we do not HAVE to make Europe.

Objective -to take it easy, relish the local experience and cuisine and just take in the sight and sounds of Ethiopia with its groovy eccentric people.

ethiopia%20loop-1-L.jpg

Did not work on these engines for ages, luckily spares is readily available in Ethiopia.

ethiopia-1-35-M.jpg

View over the Blue Nile. Click to enlarge.

ethiopia-1-36-L.jpg

At least some warning signs heading down into the Nile. Google translate clearly need some more work

The bikes would stay wherever our time run out and wait until the next year when we can go back and continue, hopefully around the world. The plan for the time we had left in Ethiopia was to travel with Martijn and Wibien to Lake Tana and Lalibela. From there we would head back to Addis, store our bikes and fly back home. The VW with Martijn and Wibien will go on to Sudan.

Instead we found ourselves enervated filled to the brim with Addis petrol, sitting in the grounds of a monastery with the carburettor of the VW in pieces spread all over my ground sheet trying to figure out how this ‘Gynaecologist’ could fix this girl.

ethiopia%20loop-1-2-L.jpg
Puncture number 7 since we arrived in Ethiopia. This country would eventually total the record for punctures for us.
Our first thoughts were to arrange to sleep over as it was already late afternoon, but after lots of fluttering hand signals, rapid eye movements and broken English, which achieved fuck all, the agelast monsignor demanded 5-star money from us to camp, without any water or facilities in his monastery grounds.

No Samaritans or Philanthropist on this holy ground. By that time I figured out the carburettor needle was not working properly and stuck open thus flooding the carburettor it was late in the afternoon. With the best fix-all tool in the world, a hammer, I gave it a quick whack and off we went back to Wim’s Holland safe house.

The next day a local VW mechanic tried a cheap fix and off we went again waving to Wim and his wife, they return the wave and with huge smirks knowing we will be back.

“The record of travellers leaving and coming back is 5 times see if you can beat that!”, they scream at us as we set off.

Fuck! Addis and Wim’ spell was still with us and 60km out of Addis the VW said no more quick cheap fixes!

It must be the StGeorge beers or Voodoo. Back to Addis, this time we went and bought a proper brand new pirated part. In Ethiopia, there still are a huge following of VW aficionados. Parts are still readily available and in plentiful supply for any VW irrespective of age. Thick dust layered genuine pirate parts presented in the original boxes.

Kids always curious and eager to have their photos taken.

DSCN0995-1-L.jpg

I see dead people.

SDC14150a-L.jpg

Getting fuel was a constant struggle. For some reason at the time Ethiopia had a shortage of fuel and we had to kick and bite petrol jockeys to get more than 5 liters at a time.

DSCN0970-1-L.jpg

Spices are a big part of Ethiopian informal business.

ethiopia%20loop-1-4-L.jpg

Lake Tana. Fisherman still use Papyrus boats for fishing

ethiopia%20loop-1-5-L.jpg

On our way to Lake Tana, the tortuous road meander through the most amazing and beautiful gorge forming part of the Blue Nile. The small towns we passed en route were alive with vocal rowdy locals happily buzzing away with their daily routines and friendly waves.

Every now and then, we hear the now familiar screams “gimme money gimme money”. That is the curse of the failed Western Aid programs and non-sensible travellers.

ethiopia%20loop-1-6-M.jpg
ethiopia%20loop-1-7-M.jpg

Go double barrel!

ethiopia-1-40-L.jpg

They claim this monestry on an island in Lake Tana is close to 700 years old. It is well maintained and still used as a monastery.

ethiopia-1-41-L.jpg

ethiopia%20loop-1-8-L.jpg

This ferry must date back to ancient times. It must be a safety inspectors biggest nightmare.

nice going michnus

everytime i read this thread i just want go for a long long long ride

Reaching the other side of the Blue Nile we booked into a small hotel called Selom. The going rate per room was an extravagant 5USD per night! Well I suppose you get what you pay for. The powder house were outside next to the hotel, with a long drop in a makeshift shack cladded with old corrugated iron sheets. The stench of old urine hang thick in the air and newspaper pieces to wipe the bum packed away into one corner.

That night we lay on the bed in our underwear with wet cloths to wipe away the sweat listening to the cacophony from people going their merry way and the local hotel music box bewailing local fusion at full bore.

It was quite amusing to listen to the locals loudly groaning and cheering as the electricity went off and came back on again, repeatedly. The entire town made it known that they were not at all happy with the situation.

We could not help to laugh, the people were very vocal about their lot. An hour later, the electricity came back on which elicit screams of elation and jubilation that echoed through the streets. It sounded like a new year’s party at 12h00 in Rio’s streets.

Life as we know it takes on a new meaning when something so basic can set the mood in such a drastic way for an entire town. Ethiopia is poor but the resilient people have dignity and go about their lives with ease and hope.

DSCN0863-1-L.jpg

Punctures was par of the course. Anything that has wheels use the tar roads and shedding parts and nails and anything else that was suppose to secure parts to the vehicles just lie and wait to puncture wheels.

DSCN1014-1-L.jpg

ethiopia-1-37-L.jpg

Climbing to 4000 meters the views are jaw drop beautiful. Pity my camera skills can not capture it.

DSCN1003-1-M.jpg

ethiopia-1-39-M.jpg

Having lunch at road side restaurants is always lucky packet surprise affair. There's almost always some funny named dish and something new. Eating at these places are cheap and normally the food are not too bad.

ethiopia-1-38-L.jpg

the_BOBNOB said:
nice going michnus

everytime i read this thread i just want go for a long long long ride

me too.  :ricky: :biggrin:

260 days accrued leave... what to do, what to do. Sigh... :-[

This RR makes me even more determined to finish up next year... :thumleft:

Situated northwest of Addis Ababa, Lake Tana is the claimed source of the Blue Nile. There are a few very old churches and monasteries on the islands just of the shores of Bhir Darr. These monasteries are cobweb covered old structures. Some monsignors still paddle to the mainland on self-made Papyrus boats.

Visiting the monasteries were a disappointing affair. The monasteries have been renovated and new age paintings added depicting scenes with AK47’s. As far as I recall they were not available 500 years ago. There is a strong jumentous smell that fills your nostrils as you enter these monasteries.

SDC14267aa-XL.jpg

Another day another puncture, think this was number 12. The small compressors also have a limited life of about 30 tyre pumps then the seals start to go and dirt get into the piston seals.

Kids always eager for a photo and the best to see them laugh when they see themselves on the camera screen.
DSCN1011-1-XL.jpg

SDC14255a-XL.jpg

SDC14264a-XL.jpg

SDC14266a-XL.jpg