Safe Wheel Removal Technique for Tyre Changes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shutter_Eye

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Ola two-wheeled connoisseurs...

So, say you're stuck on the side of a road somewhere with a flat tyre and need to remove the wheel, what is the safest way to do so with as little risk of damaging the bike?

I have a centre-stand, so removing the rear wheel is pretty straight forward. I strap the centre-stand to the front wheel and tie up the front brake for good measure - possible overkill, but yeah, it makes the bike feel more secure on the centre-stand.
Is there a better method of securing the bike for rear wheel removal?

And here's the cruncher - how do you remove the front wheel? I've checked other forums and resources but they all include workshop equipment like double jacks and such. Obviously if you're stuck with a flat you'll get stuck with a flat in the middle of nowhere, not in a nice clean workshop... :deal:

What's a real-world method to removing the rear and front tyre safely, and do you have any secret little tricks that you can share regarding removal/replacing a wheel in the bundus?