Sand Noob Ride - Parklands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Good morning all, I'm surprised no one has started a ride report yet...

On Sunday afternoon 8 riders met up for some sand practice. Some had to leave early but we had lots of fun. Kat, some amazing riding there!

Sorry to say I didn't take many pictures but the video, which I still have to edit, will cover a bit more.

Early on, Stev0 giving some tips.

IMG_9778.jpg

The group as it was towards the bitter end. In the quarry.

IMG_9779.jpg

Hey, that was great fun!  Dropping the tyre pressure to 1 bar makes a hell of a difference.  Had a blast!
Hats off to 1 KAT for extraordinary perserverance and to Stefan for taking that 1200 through there like it was a 125!
Thanks to StevO and everyone for the afternoon.

Oh, Mark Hardy, if you read this - you need serious tyres to get up that one hill.  Not even StevO's WR450 with a bald back tyre could make it.

Crossed-up said:
Hey, that was great fun!  Dropping the tyre pressure to 1 bar makes a hell of a difference.  Had a blast!
Hats off to 1 KAT for extraordinary perserverance and to Stefan for taking that 1200 through there like it was a 125!

Oh, Mark Hardy, if you read this - you need serious tyres to get up that one hill.  Not even StevO's WR450 with a bald back tyre could make it.

Its a pleasure John.

And i tried twice......  Im thinking a fresh tire could sort me out... or i could hit that bump at double the speed and probably break my neck!

Stev0 said:
Crossed-up said:

Its a pleasure John.

And i tried twice......  Im thinking a fresh tire could sort me out... or i could hit that bump at double the speed and probably break my neck!

Or ride a KTM  :pot: :peepwall:

Looks like you guys had a blast.

I had every intention of joining you - but just as I was about to get ready my neighbour asked for help with his computer and itunes.
I ended up in front of his pc for over an hour.
:mad:
By the time i was done at was almost 2:30.

ddin't you guys die in the heat??
Just the thought of slipping on my riding pants and boots was a frightening idea.

Hiya Stev0.
Thanks for the lekka sand ride. Sure gets the adrenaline flowing eh. And 1KAT, thats some good riding you did in the thick sand. Seeya.

cloudgazer said:
Looks like you guys had a blast.

I had every intention of joining you - but just as I was about to get ready my neighbour asked for help with his computer and itunes.
I ended up in front of his pc for over an hour.
:mad:
By the time i was done at was almost 2:30.

ddin't you guys die in the heat??
Just the thought of slipping on my riding pants and boots was a frightening idea.

It was great out there.  You only realise how hot it is when you stop.  When you're moving you're too busy to feel the heat.

this was 1 hell of an experience i had yesterday & am so pleased with myself that i went & did it..

i met up with Michiel & StevO @ Dolphin beach park lot then we made our way to Builders Warehouse where the rest of the group met.  i had let my tyres down 1.5 (front) & 1.7 (back)....

my heart was pumping, i was nervous, yes had an idea of what was coming my way but it all proved 2 b very different once my bike hit that sand ;D  We had left on the tar, around a few corners & before i knew it, there it was, a vast open space of SAND :eek:    My first fall happened almost immediately :eek7:  the guys helped me pick up my bike :thumleft: (by the way a minimum of 8 times thru the ride;D) - beeg thx all 4 ur help :thumleft:  Looking down a long straight, damn this sand was VERY thick & i just thought shit i have 2 get through all of that.... :eek7:

having sum sand riding instruction from the guys b4 we started had helped but i really found it tough in the beginning, especially the corners where i @ some point just fell over @ least 4 times in quick succession ;D  and the heat didnt help either, it was very hot yesterday out there... and dropping my bike made me sooooo tired..

as we progressed through the tracks (not straight either), some whoops :eek7:, hitting a port jackson tree softly ;D (and falling over), flying in between 2 parked bikes where i had to shout "move ur mirrors" as i came hurtling through (shit that was funny :imaposer:) - like in a movie exactly - we ended up riding along a railway track with sharp shale stones, we got to the quarry - i had never been there.....& what an amazing place to play ;D  sumhow my bike & i made it over a rather wide rut type thing - the guys couldnt believe it did it (i actually thought then that this was my turn to go over handlebars :eek7:  i also climbed up quite a steep hill with bike & of course the coming down really freaked me out but i stopped at the top & surveyed it & knew i HAD to get down... down we went, made it :thumleft:

i have 2 say my confidence levels shot up big time, was really pleased at what i was able 2 do, the people were FANTASTIC & so helpful amongst each other..... its not gr8 2 go on a ride thinking that u r possibly going to damage ur bike, injure urself etc but it is what u feel comfortable with, it was hard work, quite scary at times 4 me but i WILL go back & do it again, cause i know i can do it now :thumleft:

Thanks all of u, u were gr8 company - i had a blast :ricky:

look forward 2 try Atlantis soon

1 KAT said:
this was 1 hell of an experience i had yesterday & am so pleased with myself that i went & did it..

i met up with Michiel & StevO @ Dolphin beach park lot then we made our way to Builders Warehouse where the rest of the group met.  i had let my tyres down 1.5 (front) & 1.7 (back)....

my heart was pumping, i was nervous, yes had an idea of what was coming my way but it all proved 2 b very different once my bike hit that sand ;D   We had left on the tar, around a few corners & before i knew it, there it was, a vast open space of SAND :eek:    My first fall happened almost immediately :eek7:  the guys helped me pick up my bike :thumleft: (by the way a minimum of 8 times thru the ride;D) - beeg thx all 4 ur help :thumleft:  Looking down a long straight, damn this sand was VERY thick & i just thought shit i have 2 get through all of that.... :eek7:

having sum sand riding instruction from the guys b4 we started had helped but i really found it tough in the beginning, especially the corners where i @ some point just fell over @ least 4 times in quick succession ;D  and the heat didnt help either, it was very hot yesterday out there... and dropping my bike made me sooooo tired..

as we progressed through the tracks (not straight either), some whoops :eek7:, hitting a port jackson tree softly ;D (and falling over), flying in between 2 parked bikes where i had to shout "move ur mirrors" as i came hurtling through (shit that was funny :imaposer:) - like in a movie exactly - we ended up riding along a railway track with sharp shale stones, we got to the quarry - i had never been there.....& what an amazing place to play ;D  sumhow my bike & i made it over a rather wide rut type thing - the guys couldnt believe it did it (i actually thought then that this was my turn to go over handlebars :eek7:  i also climbed up quite a steep hill with bike & of course the coming down really freaked me out but i stopped at the top & surveyed it & knew i HAD to get down... down we went, made it :thumleft:

i have 2 say my confidence levels shot up big time, was really pleased at what i was able 2 do, the people were FANTASTIC & so helpful amongst each other..... its not gr8 2 go on a ride thinking that u r possibly going to damage ur bike, injure urself etc but it is what u feel comfortable with, it was hard work, quite scary at times 4 me but i WILL go back & do it again, cause i know i can do it now :thumleft:

Thanks all of u, u were gr8 company - i had a blast :ricky:

look forward 2 try Atlantis soon

Sounds like you all had a jol and that you loved it 1 KAT !!!  :thumleft:

Thanks to all who partook. I had a great time and hope we can do it again. 1 Kat, I would never have guessed that you didn't have a lot of sand riding experience and that giant rut that you jumped really was quite impressive. I'm sure everyone else was a bit embarrassed about going the long way around it. ;D Well done!

Until next time.

thx Sack,  i couldnt believe how u handled that monster 1200 of urs, u made it look SO effortless :eek:

especially the steep hill in the quarry, the control u have with ur bike is incredible ;)

;D ;D

what a blast

finally took the xr400 for a spin - must still use to her tho

but as said before -1kat, that sand was anything but noob friendly and to go where you went was awesome :thumleft:

well done

now bring on Atlantis  :ricky:

Ok, here is the video to back it all up...

Sack, I would like to see some more of those BMW waltzes. Very entertaining. Serious skill. Maybe in Atlantis next time.