Saron Canal - Noob Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few pics, but am too tired to think. It was great meeting all of you and to XT660, brilliant job!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: It was a stunning ride and great variation throughout the day.
Later :binkybaby:

agreed, nice route, open  dirt highways for the big monsters.

Just a couple as a teaser.... soz chaps, but I've got a nice bed waiting  :biggrin: and i really am bushed!

Will compile proper RR... however I'm very disappointed as well... to find my flippen camera "changed" a setting so some nice pics ended up being blurred  :-[ :mad:

Attachments

• DSCF5234.JPG
    DSCF5234.JPG
    60.7 KB
  • DSCF5238.JPG
    DSCF5238.JPG
    46.9 KB
  • DSCF5243.JPG
    DSCF5243.JPG
    62.4 KB
  • DSCF5253.JPG
    DSCF5253.JPG
    35.3 KB
  • DSCF5260.JPG
    DSCF5260.JPG
    53.2 KB
:happy1:

Ready and waiting - oh come on, for sure hubby came off - where's the pics?

Well Andy, you did it again, what a cool ride, a bit of something for everyone :thumleft:  It was really good to meet some of you guys for the first time as well as seeing the old regulars.  :ricky:

stevh0 said:
Giraffe, is that KTM quicker without the one mirror?  :pot:

Oh... So THAT is why he farked off at such a moerse spoed!!! took the mirror off to decrease drag...  >:D

Thanks Andy for a great days riding, I wish that the track up to the rest/lunch spot had been about another half hour longer. That was some serious fun to ride.

CamelMan and Giraff -  when I see you two join a ride I know there will be some low flying riding  >:D that one section was an absolute BLAST. Actually the whole ride was fun.

Thanks to all who rode for making Sunday a hugh success.

Thanks Andy and all you guys for the fantastic ride.  Yesterday was my first ride with the WDs. Great company, great weather and great roads.  Who could ask for more?

I see no freeking ride report here, the fred started should be slaughtered!! :)

XT660, Wayneh, Thanx for the sharing this magic route with all of us!!

Also a big thanx to Lecap and his wife doing the sweeping!

The only thing that got me was the gearing of my bike, at 140kph im almost flat out and being such a performance orrientated bike, i decided to take it easy. Cruising at 80-100kph left me frustrated, But when we did the technical bit up to the lunch spot the frustration was all worth it.

IMAG0044.jpg

I made a duck not long after heading back down to the canal.

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

Flew through to Riebeek West to have lunch, took the wrong dirt road and ended up at a boer se plaas, turned around and finally found my way...

Took a dirt road to Malmesbury

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Filled up in Mbury, headed off through Kalbaskraal to Atlantis, from Atlantis I got to the morningstar intersection and decided to make my own path through the bush.  This was very intersting, I have never seen so many mole holes in one place.

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

Managed to follow the mountain and then i discovered the railway line and a lekker looped sand road all the way to parklands.

Nice day of riding, did just over 300km, and the WR kept averaging around 21 - 19 km/l

Oh and It did not blow up ... like i thought it would

From this

P1100662.jpg

To

P1100666.jpg

Many thanks to all who came and made the day such fun
Riders that came

(All these photo`s , were supplied by Snafu)

Fourie kop , Durtseaker , Mark Hardy , Giraffe , Camelman , Tengai and his friend , Snafu , Thys , Pullaway , Goose , The_wes , Le Cap mr and mrs , Doerandgone , Wayneh , Steveho , Cross-up ,

Pic at the usual meeting spot

saron3.jpg

Just like to add , it was a long ride and I think Mrs Le Cap deserves a round of applause.

saron5.jpg

Durtseaker

saron11.jpg

saron6.jpg

Camelman , Giraffe , Wayneh

saron7.jpg

Doerandgone

saron8.jpg

Yours truly

saron9.jpg

Tengai`s Friend , Fourie Kop , Goose

saron12.jpg

Camelman & Giraffe

saron22.jpg

Durtseaker , Fourie Kop , Mark Hardey , the_Wes

saron21.jpg

Tengai and Friend , XT

saron23.jpg

Thanks guys for such a lekker day, and especially Andy and all those who recce'd with him! After 6 weeks of no off road riding (since I injured my leg) it was fun to get out there again, although I am moerofa stiff today, not kief!!

I didn't take too many pics though, but here are a few...

The day consisted of lots of gravel highway. Which means lots of Mark Hardy, Giraffe and Camelman behaving like maniacs...

dsc03290pk1.jpg

dsc03295iw4.jpg

Mostly though, we just stand around and talk nonsense...

dsc03299bo6.jpg

dsc03296hg7.jpg

And pretend we know what we're talking about...

dsc03302vb8.jpg

We do behave ourselves, though ...badly

dsc03304ph8.jpg

The canal bit was great, first it was fast gravel with nice big storm water drains, and then the technical stuff started, ending in a nice little picnic spot, were we ate, and stood around and talked some more, and some people were really good at finding really bad spots to put their side stand  ::)

dsc03305xn7.jpg

dsc03307zo4.jpg

dsc03310qa8.jpg

dsc03312kl1.jpg

Basically it's like Friday drinks, but with riding  :mwink:

And of course, wiping out. After eating lunch, Mark, Wayne, Giraffe and myself decided to ride the trail back to the bridge and back again for fun. It went great (except Mark apparently saw his gat). When we left however, I had a nice little medium speed off in the mud. It happened so fast I couldn't even try and save it... the front just washed out and next thing I know I've got mud and sand up my crack.

Fouriekop took the photo and of course couldn't resist getting a bit of his bike in the shot.

dsc03318ox0.jpg

And then on the way back, Fouriekop, WayneH and myself get to the end of the next bit of road, Foruiekop says "where's mark, he was right behind me, he must have come off". So we head back, and no, Mark didn't come off...

It was a certain ex-Transalp owner farming with his brand new KTM 990 Adventure  :ricky:

dsc03321xv6.jpg

dsc03325mn3.jpg

All in all it was a lekker dusty day, that left me wondering why the hell I bothered cleaning my bike on Saturday

dsc03333zm1.jpg

The day ended at doodles, where Bus rocked up riding like the hooligan he is...

(I just missed the stoppie in the photo)

dsc03334ha2.jpg

Beers, chips and more k@k-talking ended off a lekker day, thanks guys  :thumleft:

dsc03337hu2.jpg

dsc03339xa3.jpg

Along the gravel road which runs paralel with the canal are these 1.5m storm water flutes which you get good air as you speed down and up over them , some pics.Unfortunately , Snafu missed the one that Giraffe landed in a 400mm deep puddle .
Giraffe was soaked to the skin , he even got water in his helmet.

Giraff on his KTM 950 Super Enduro

saron1.jpg

XT660R

saron31.jpg

Mark Hardy

saron32.jpg