Saving the radiator from the second hit - looking for hints for mesh wire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Crack in the radiator is already sealed - thanks to the guys at Silverton Radiators in Northgate, Johannesburg. But I am looking for a solution that will save the radiator a second crack, and the solution should be cheap...

Some research got me hooked to this idea - although the holes in the mesh wire look a just a little too big and the arrangement in front (!!!) of the drill-hole is not the smartest idea. Still, in the pictures you can see what a fellow did to protect his radiator.

kuehlerschutz_BMWf650dakar_01small.JPG
kuehlerschutz_BMWf650dakar_02smal.JPG

Now, my problem: I've been looking around in a lot of places for galvanized mesh wire so I can do the same thing. However, I couldn't find anyone to point me anywhere useful (Builder's Warehouse, Jack's Paint & Hardware, Chamberlain etc.). Hence, I was wondering if a Wild Dog can help me out.

What I am looking for - more or less: galvanzized mesh wire;square holes; holes around 5x5mm; piece of about 200x800mm

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Best, Jan

And that's the story behind it:
After coming back from a trip to Botswana, my wife and I got stuck in the middle of nowhere some 80km from Johannesburg. First the warning light of an overheating engine came on. We stopped and refilled with water but it happened again. After a very close inspection, we found a pointed stone which had made its way down between the frame and the radiator. The stone then cracked  the radiator at the lowest level. However, a farmer stopped and helped us out with: CURRY POWDER! Couldn't believe it at first, but it worked: a cap of curry powder and some water, then heating the mixture up in the cooling cycle, adding another cap and some more water and we were good to go some 50km to the next gas station to get some leak stop for the radiator - well, it worked on low revs for us - up to 80km/h. Another way to seal the leak: EGG WHITE!  ;)
Well, the curry powder is now part of our kit  ;D - thanks to Jaques!

Attachments

• bmw_umbauten_kuehlerschutz_BMWf650dakar_01small.JPG
    bmw_umbauten_kuehlerschutz_BMWf650dakar_01small.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 84
  • bmw_umbauten_kuehlerschutz_BMWf650dakar_02smal.JPG
    bmw_umbauten_kuehlerschutz_BMWf650dakar_02smal.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 85