seating a tyre with no compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribble

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
since the bicycle pump question i asked i have been thinking about this quite alot so on saturday i went to a freinds workshop to change my gaar tkc for ananakee and i figured well since the tyre is already gaar let me try some experiments on what works to seat the bead of a tyre without a compressor and this is what i found
after breaking the bead on the tkc which is now the current problem
in my quest how do break the bead if you on your ace in the middle of nowhere
so bead broken i look around the workshop to find something that you might have with you apart from petrol which still goes bang when it gets lit

and then i find it a can of AXE the stuff the ous who cant ,use to pull chicks :roll:
spray some into the tyre

and then try to light it

im busy trying to get the lighter into the gap between rim and tyre to light the stuff when it occurs to me that if my experiment is successful
i will probably lose at least one finger should i manage to light this thing
the way im doin it now , :shock:

so deep breath how do i light this without losing my digits which
i am rather attached to
i then hold the lighter lit close to the tyre take the AXE and flame thrower the bugger

next thing you know

a huge bang

rushing of air and the rim lifts off the work bench

i almost shit in my pants and all the work in the workshop stops immediately
everyone comes over to the workbench in the corner where i was pottering about and then seeing me white faced and shaking pack up laughing

buuut picking up the tyre it was perfectly seated

and warm too

so it works rather well just remember to make sure you have removed the valve cos if you dont im pretty sure the whole stem will blow right out

:wink: