Sedgefield sand solo ( and getting a bit lost)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
We're heading down to CT on Sunday for my Mom's 80th birthday and will only be back on Tuesday - so I decided to get a "short" ride in today. The plan was to head towards Barrington and them take a sand track that comes out on the N2 at the Buffelsbaai turnoff, head into Buffels and enjoy a cold one and a toasted sandwich before heading back home. I had done this route about a year ago on the KTM with a bunch of maniacs from KTM George -  I dropped the bike at least seven times and did not really enjoy the ride at all! So feeling slightly nervous, I set off at 11:30 and hit the short bit of tar to the Karatara turn-off.
P1010247_tn.jpg

I have passed this little church countless times and have never stopped to photograph it.

P1010248_tn.jpg

Then on past some naartjie orchards and on up the pass to Barrington.

P1010249_tn.jpg

P1010251_tn.jpg

This is great little stretch of road with some really nice corners - that's the joy of DS riding! This is where the road was washed away last year.

P1010252_tn.jpg

There's a turnoff about half way up on your RHS and you quickly get into forestry country, however, there are no signs whatsoever saying that this is private property blah bah!  ;D

P1010253_tn.jpg

P1010254_tn.jpg

P1010255_tn.jpg

These roads are used by timber trucks throughout the year and can get quite badly churned up at times. We had a bit of rain about a week ago and I was quite surprised to see how wet the roads still were.

P1010256_tn.jpg

P1010257_tn.jpg

Looks like fun!

I followed the "road" for quite a while - it was SO much easier on the DRZ!!! but with still quite a few "oops!" moments.

P1010260_tn.jpg

P1010261_tn.jpg

P1010262_tn.jpg

I remebered the road as being basically straight, but all of a sudden I came to a 3 way intersection and wasn't quite sure which way to go. Oh well, lets see where this goes.

P1010264_tn.jpg

Then I took another turning - I saw an "8" painted on a tree at the intersection and thought ah... landmark. About 2k's later, I come to another intersection and see another "8" on a tree. Oh shit!  Double back to the first junction and try another path.

P1010265_tn.jpg

I then discover this - a lean-to protecting the harnesses they use for the horses to drag trees out of the palntation. I was quite surpised, as I had only seen these being used for dragging logs out of the indigenous forest where most of the trees are not felled - it's easiest to use a horse, but did not know they were used in pine plantations.

P1010267_tn.jpg

Turn around again and go back the way I thought I had come - along the "main" road.

P1010269_tn.jpg

P1010270_tn.jpg

But all of a sudden, I can't see the tyre tracks that I should have made if I came in this way! I ride a bit further and recognise a turning I had come to. Carry on a while and meet a timber truck head on (not literally!). Stop and say I'm lost (don't wan't to cause any kark, as I wan't to come back and explore again). Tell him I'm looking for the road to Buffelsbaai. He says no problem, turn around and just follow the road! This is what I've been trying to do for the past hour!. He says just go straight - don't take any turn-offs. By now, I'm starting to run late. so I thank him and carry on back the way I came in. Now I know where I am, and see this little turn-off that looks intersesting.

P1010271_tn.jpg

Follow it a bit further and come to this "field" in the middle of the forest.

fieldpano_tn.jpg

treescrop_tn.jpg

Stop the bike for a break and walk around to take some pics.

P1010275_tn.jpg

P1010276_tn.jpg

P1010277_tn.jpg

I come across some "bokkie" spoor...

P1010281_tn.jpg

...and then these...

P1010278_tn.jpg

P1010280_tn.jpg

They were about 12cm in length... too small for leopard?... a big rooikat (lynx)?.. can anyone ID these?

P1010282_tn.jpg

P1010283_tn.jpg

Turned the bike round and got back home about 2 - no beer or sandwich, but man, what a ride!
I wan't to go back next weekend and start at the Buffelsbay side and to see where I missed the track!
The DRZ is the perfect bike for this kind of riding - I never dropped it once even though I'm still no pro at riding sand like this. Some of the ruts are very narrow and if you hit the side, the bike wants to turn in. Due to its light weight though, it's fairly easy to get her back in line. Crossing over 150mm middelmannetjies is a skill I still have to master - but I WILL be back!  ;D

Stofdonkie said:
Nails out = dog. Not cat.

Thanks for that Stofdonkie - but it must be one friggin ginormous dog!
I see you're new to the forum - why not introduce yourself here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?board=16.0

P1010264_tn.jpg

Nice ride, exploring the great outdoors ! That pic reminds me of the forestry roads behind the Garden route dam / George dam, used to sneak in there with my DR 250. Great riding to be had.

letsgofishing said:
Stofdonkie said:
Nails out = dog. Not cat.

Thanks for that Stofdonkie - but it must be one friggin ginormous dog!
I see you're new to the forum - why not introduce yourself here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?board=16.0

LGF thanks for the super RR and pics ! are those not "Stofdonkie" spore  ???

Gr8 report, Respect for that mud when mud like that I normaly look for alternative route.  :notworthy:

Cool great photo's .What you got in your plumbing tube ,Tyre levers ?  ;)I went looking again this morning and still have'nt found the levers that KTM Jedi had .

The long flat fotie "field in the middle of the forrest", man - i`m jealous

sidetrack said:
Nice ride, exploring the great outdoors ! That pic reminds me of the forestry roads behind the Garden route dam / George dam, used to sneak in there with my DR 250. Great riding to be had.

Were you from this area originally?

Geoff said:
Cool great photo's .What you got in your plumbing tube ,Tyre levers ?  ;)I went looking again this morning and still have'nt found the levers that KTM Jedi had .

Hi Geoff  - changed the plastic for a piece of stainless steel, and yes, 3 tyre levers (1 long) and other bits. Wonder where KTM Jedi got those from?

hey dude, how do you find the DRZ on the tar? is she comfy at 120kph?

Pretty place, thanks for the pics!  And looks like decent DRZ country.  ;)

letsgofishing said:
sidetrack said:

Were you from this area originally?

No just stayed there for a couple of years, my sister also studied at Saasveld.

stevh0 said:

LGF might have a different take but he runs the same sprocket set up as me and I had my bike to 150 km/h on the GPS so 120 no problem but I don't really enjoy extending 120 kp/h runs, the bike is too light and upright for these kinda speeds. I like to cruise at 100 kp/h and offcourse when the technical bits starts it's heaven  8) The bike is THE SH*T  ;D

sidetrack said:
stevh0 said:

LGF might have a different take but he runs the same sprocket set up as me and I had my bike to 150 km/h on the GPS so 120 no problem but I don't really enjoy extending 120 kp/h runs, the bike is too light and upright for these kinda speeds. I like to cruise at 100 kp/h and offcourse when the technical bits starts it's heaven  8) The bike is THE SH*T  ;D

The nice bit is to know that you can keep up with traffic comfortably.

Some people have a hard time deciding between the 650 and the 400, they end up choosing the 650 because they are not sure what the 400's road manners would be like.

the 400 should come into its own in the more technical stuff

stevh0 said:
sidetrack said:
stevh0 said:

The nice bit is to know that you can keep up with traffic comfortably.

Some people have a hard time deciding between the 650 and the 400, they end up choosing the 650 because they are not sure what the 400's road manners would be like.

the 400 should come into its own in the more technical stuff

I've shared the road a little with LGF and his DRZ (From George to Baviaans and back as well as the overberg stint) - also took a little spin on it.

I tell you (as a guy used to a GS) - if there's no need for a passenger this bike is the bomb.
The way that LGF sprocketed it it (and with his screen) it is just about perfect for touring.

And like SideTrack said - when it gets to the offroad bit that bike just comes to its own.
Minimal effort offroad machine.

Btw - the power to weight ratio is about just as much as my GS - that DRZ is no slouch.