Short Baviaans test drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipskop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I picked up my new KLR in PE yesterday and just could not wait any longer to go for a test ride .Now I had not even taken the bike for a test drive before I bought it.I never even rode a KLR before and just bought on the valeu of the advice I got from this forum,thanks to you all.My last time on a real bike was 36 years ago ,so, very exited and with a bit of nervousness I set of for Patensie from J Bay ,my first ride ever with my new KLR,as soon as I got used to the clutch and power it felt like it was a natural thing to ride again,eijsh ,and it was suggested on my intro that I first get some training wheels >:D.
I stopped at the Padstal for a brekkie and I got my first comment on the bike from a guy getting into his car to leave " a nice lady`s bike" he says .I thought to myself ,ja ,coming from a Musso driver I won`t take any notice of it. :D.  
So after a healthy plaas ontbyt and meeting Captain Slow I set off for the Koega dam.Now this was my first time on a dirt road for a very long time as well.I was very surprised with the comfortable ride the KLR gave on a relatively bad road.I returned to the tar from the dam and decided that I was ready for the Baviaans and turned left.I saw a couple of the Jansenville crowd before entering the Kloof . The ride in the kloof was nice as it was a bit wet and the air smelled clean and you could smell all the different fynbos and bushes ,I immediately knew that this is what I`ve been missing out on not having a bike for such a long time ,I think I`m in love again ,after all this time ,to a KLR :D.As I say, the ride was just too much to take in ,I was exited and I felt like a kid with a new toy and I was in this beautiful place,how lucky can a man be,I am truly thankful to be in a position to be able to experience and enjoy this .I found that the more i got into the riding ,the more comfortable I felt and I was really surprised with the KLR`s comfy ride.It was getting late and I turned around to head back home.On my way a loerie hit me in the face at 110kmh ,lucky for me the vizer was down on my cheapy helmet but it still hit the vizer against my nose and upper lip hard enough to make my eyes run.All in all it was a successful day and I feel confident in the saddle again.This is my first R/R so excuse the order of the pics,Im sure it will get better with time.

Attachments

• Jansenville Crowd.jpg
    Jansenville Crowd.jpg
    134.2 KB
  • Padstal.jpg
    Padstal.jpg
    144.4 KB
  • I`m in love with her.jpg
    I`m in love with her.jpg
    195.5 KB
  • Truly lucky to.jpg
    Truly lucky to.jpg
    146.4 KB
Lekker ... now make a plan and come and show us your new joy at the EC Bash in June.

Watty thanks,I`d  love to join in but I will have to see how the timing works out with the work.Carnivor yes very happy ,hope we meet somewhere and thanks to all for the support on the forum.

Hi Skipskop nice to meet you on your first ride nogal. The KLR is not a ladies bike and you should have kicked a dent in the Musso door. :)

O ja very important get some boots, bare ankles are bad on bikes. Even if it is some old army boots.

Hope to speak again someday. Post that pic of me ;D

Captain Slow  here the pic ,  https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=48739.0;topicseen  and will get some boots  :thumleft:

Nice one, Skipskop.

Seems to me you get veeeery long days in the Cape, look at the long shadows at 13 minutes past 3 in the morning  :mwink:

Speak to Cappie, he's everywhere so he'll be ale to tell you where to get the best value for money ATGATT  :thumleft:

How does one live without a bike for 36 years?!!!!!
Enjoy and ride safe. :thumleft:

A couple more pics.When I got back on the tar I noticed that I`d lost my phone just after stopping to chat to Capt Slow.I backtracked to the dam and found the pieces on the road, I put it together and it worked again :thumleft:

Attachments

• Koega dam tunnel.jpg
    Koega dam tunnel.jpg
    194 KB
  • Nokia is a good phone.jpg
    Nokia is a good phone.jpg
    160.1 KB
  • Pitstop-Baviaans.jpg
    Pitstop-Baviaans.jpg
    196.4 KB
Magic !!!

I feels like yesterday that I got back on a bike after a long bikeless spell .....

Enjoy mate !!  :thumleft: