Short hop to Somerset West

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Had to go to Somerset West from Hermanus
On my way back popped into Gantouw pass area
Got two caches on geocaching and quite a lot of enjoyment on the gravel roads through the forest area
Even bumped into Cape Nature's guys, and hell what a nice bunch of guys
Let the photos tell the story - I had so much fun, all on my own

SirLowry01-1.jpg

Gantouw01-1.jpg

Gantouw03-1.jpg

Gantouw02-1.jpg

Windy01-1.jpg

Windy02-1.jpg

Windy03-1.jpg

Windy04-1.jpg

Windy05-1.jpg

Windy06-1.jpg

Windy07-1.jpg

Lekker man!!

Toe ek laas in die Kaap was het Oubaas Heimer my bietjie vertel van die Geocaching ding....lyk interresant...sal bietjie meer oplees oor dit en dit dalk self try!!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Hi Dual

I live at the bottom of the pass and would love to ride that route.
Do you need special permission to get to Gantouw pass?
If not, do you mind sharing route?

Cape Nature owns everything now-adays
I went in opposite Steenbras dam
Bike fitted throufh pedestrian gate, quite sure cable over raod able to lift high enough to get bike through
I went with the attitude of "oh hell, is this private property?, sorry, who can give me permision to come again"
As said, I bumped into Cape Nature guys, one with authority, I babbled so much about the history and wagon tracks and cannons that he actually gave me the "veldwagter's" cell  number for future expeditions
I even got him intesrested into the caching thing as well
He told me that I could get out at the gate as he would open it for me when he leaves
I suggested getting out at Grabouw side, and he directed me wich way to go and how to get past the locked gate
As said, hell of a nice guy - someone to remeber

https://helderbergbasin.blogspot.com/2009/09/history-of-gantouw-pass-elands-path.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Lowry's_Pass

Latest posts