Small Bike or Scooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varadero

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
In the last couple of years I've used both a Yammie BWS scooter and my Vespa scooter to commute with; on the BWS I did 17000km's before selling it to a mate and my Vespa stands on 16000 odd km's.  Now both of these scoots have been an absolute pleasure to own and ride and have never given any problems.  I was pretty much convinced that they were the absolute bees knees for my commuting purposes (now bear in mind I'm in Jhb and have short commutes on busy suburban roads).  Well, recently I bought a little Honda XR125 to use as a delivery bike and general run around at my office and I started alternating between it and the Vespa for the daily commute.  Well, here's the thing, I now really do believe that a small bike makes a better commuter!  Here's my reasoning:

1.  In terms of fuel consumption it's really much of a muchness, so Vespa +1 and Honda +1.
2.  Ease of use has to go to the Vespa, pretty much just point twist and go, so Vespa +2.
3.  Riding position has to go to the XR, you sit higher and have both feet on pegs and not a floor board, so Honda +2.
4.  Speed bumps and potholes must be the scooters biggest downfall because of it's teeny wheel size, the Honda's wheels are 19" in the front and 17" on the rear  so role over things that would really give you a big knock on the Vespa, so Honda +3.
5.  Stopping power on both of them is very similar and they both have a disk up front and a drum at the rear, so Vespa +3 and Honda +4.
6.  Visibility and road presence in my experience has to go to the Honda as well, weird how people just don't seem to notice a scooter but notice a small bike  ??? , so Honda +5.

Thanks to the very scientific analysis above the Honda and therefore the small bike wins  :thumleft:  If you're looking at a set of 2 wheels for a youngster or even to commute with don't immediately discount the smaller bikes  :thumleft: