Small electrical issue with big symptoms on my GS - scary...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi !

I take it after 7 years and 118000 km's there's bound to be something out of the ordinary maintenance schedule that's gonna need attention.

For those of you who remember just before the trip I had the GS cut out on pullaway a couple of times. I thought it was the throttle bodies that was out of sync (they were, and after I balanced them it went away). Then, about 3 days after I got back Sauerkraut started to do it again. The little display (for fuel and temp gauge) will die with the bike, the light would go off. As quick as it came on you would hear the fuelpump and all would be well again.

Scary.

So naturally I didn't ride the bike up to where I would have time to fix it.
Yesterday I had to go somewhere with it and it ended up totally dead. So I put it on its sidestand (yes I did check the sidestand switch) to get off and 'vroetel'. All of a sudden everything lights up again.

The handlebars turned sideways. Turn them back - dead. Sideways - on...
Hmmm.

Little cable that goes from the ignition to the electronics is cable tied to the frame just where the tanks starts. At that point it bends. Obviously after years and thousands of k's being bent backwards and forwards it suffered from metal fatigue and broke contact on that bend.

So I tucked it in where there's contact the whole time (I thought so) and drove off. Naturally I was on the clutch often on pulling away, as sometimes it would just die on pullaway. Not fun. Then halfway through a traffic circle it was such that you couldn't have the handle bars (even slightly) to the right of dead center... Left was fine but not right. Hmmm.

So there I was bouncing through a traffic circle in 2nd, vroeteling with one hand next to the steering column while trying to keep the bike in line with the other - 17:20 in the afternoon ...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So tonight its me, the side cutters, a little wire extension, the soldering iron and some heat shrink ...

The good thing is that I can point my finger to a little bend in the wire and say: 'There's the problem"

If it was the ignition (or far worse) the engine management I would not have been impressed...

W.