So I got a bit lost...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firecoast

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
So when we were discussing going to the Slumdog Bash, I was merely informed that I would be riding the AT as it's good to go and requires the least work.

OK then...

And, oh, by the way (THROTTLE says the night before)... we are riding with the boys (Greyhounds)!  :eek:

So what was meant to be a slow meander on one of my single cylinder ponies with just me and THROTTLE, became a bit of a group activity  :biggrin:

Weapons of choice were the KTM 950 SE and the Honda Africa Twin DCT.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    201 KB
So we all met up at the BP in Grahamstown and head out towards Bedford, hook a right on the gravel towards Kwandwe.... destination Baddaford Farmstall in Fort Beaufort.

1 Yamaha
1 KLR
3 KTM's
4 Honda's

Maybe one of the boys can post the route here.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.8 KB
We stop every so often to regroup and take photos, etc etc...

Rod keeps checking his bike and it seems the radiator is causing some problems. It is advised that he should abandon the trip, so he turns back to get some help and load the bike onto a trailer before there is any proper damage caused.

1 Yamaha
1 KLR
3 2 KTM's
4 Honda's

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    309.3 KB
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    282.8 KB
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    349.7 KB
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    289.3 KB
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    147.2 KB
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    139.6 KB
Random pic of the road and another of a whoops shot... I handed THROTTLE the camera and it must have gone off.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    258.6 KB
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    167.2 KB
Two horses bomb out of the road in front of Dave and myself.

We decide to stop so that they can turn around and get back home, as they just kept running in front of us.

Dave takes a walk, but the one horse decides to carry on... not sure if he though Dave was an alien in his kit or what.

THROTTLE then says nah, this isn't going to work and bolts past the horse on the SE and TA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, the horse makes a move for it and trots off to his mate.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    245.8 KB
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    333.1 KB
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    253.8 KB
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    312.4 KB
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    295.5 KB
Quick stop for a bite to eat at Baddaford's and we head out to Seymour for the dreaded Mitchell's pass. Well so I thought, as I had heard horror stories about it being quite treacherous when there's a bit of loose stuff.

Attachments

• 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    213.9 KB
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    249.5 KB
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    230.9 KB
It honestly wasn't bad at all and not very loose either, but Marius had a bit of an off when he became cross-rutted. I stopped to help, but couldn't get much footing, so was utterly useless and decided to go find some level ground... which happened to be the same idea of the guys ahead of me.

THROTTLE helped with getting the bike up and all was good, except for a really bloody finger on Marius' part.

Attachments

• 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    412 KB
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    285.9 KB
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    272.6 KB
Came into Hogsback via the back entrance and had a lovely stay at the Arminel Hotel.

Nice place, but the vibe / atmosphere was a bit dull, so we headed out for supper.

I didn't see the point of both of us riding our own bikes, so I opted to pillion with the husband... although that said, the last time that happened we both ended up in a thorn tree!

Attachments

• 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    213.8 KB
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    241.6 KB
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    236.1 KB
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    361 KB
Let me just explain the tally I am keeping....

1 Yamaha
1 KLR
3 2 KTM's
4 Honda's (1 off)

At the bar on the Friday night there was a fair (understatement of the year!!!) amount of KTM vs Honda banter. It got quite heated at times and I am sure someone *cough* Leon *cough* would be slapped by the end of the weekend. This carried on the whole weekend with the skewed verdict being that Honda was super shit and KTM is the best.

Time would tell...

Saturday morning the health nuts went to the Park Run. Seriously?

Breakfast was had at the Butterfly Bistro where we encountered a whole lot of weirdness.

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    279.7 KB
Destination... Cathcart via the back road out of Hogsback. I think it is called the Happy Valley road? Or is it Nature's Valley?

Attachments

• 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    497.5 KB
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    367.7 KB
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    251.2 KB
Happiness himself...  :biggrin:

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    293.4 KB
More pics of Happy / Nature's Valley...

Attachments

• 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    165.8 KB
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    272.2 KB
At the tar I told THROTTLE to swop bikes just until the petrol station so I could feel a bit of erm... power between my legs.

Jirre, big mistake, as we had forgotten that he had raised the bike and our luggage was pushing my fat butt forward, so I had less than my big toenail on the ground.

I kept praying that there would be no traffic and that I would not have to put my foot out at the upcoming STOP sign.  :imaposer:

Anyway, luckily there wasn't and I could creep my way to the petrol station, where we had a bit of a break.

Thanks to the guy with the long hair who very kindly gave me some duct tape to sort out my boots.

Attachments

• 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    257.4 KB