Soft Panniers / Bags for KTM 950 - Better??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
evolution [ eeva loosh'n, évva loosh'n ] (plural evolutions)

3. gradual development: the gradual development of something into a more complex or better form

Synonyms: development, fruition, growth, progress, progression, advancement

The word Evolution came to mind.

After reading Metaljockey's recent Angola report, I started wondering if there was not certain method in their madness regarding the use of soft panniers.
I'm definately a believer in the use of Aluminium panniers and have used mine in quite a few trips recently.
They are waterproof, more secure and clip on/off easily & protect the contents

Then came our recent Lesotho trip. I had 3 tumbles. One in the black turf (pic posted) and two tipovers in the rocks where I could not get my footing.
In all three cases, the panniers got a small ding in them  :(

The biggest problem was one I did not even notice till yesterday. One of the other riders in the group did not judge his line properly and clipped my right pannier at one stage and dislodged it. I thought nothing of it, took it off and re-seated it.
Upon inspection yesterday I noticed that the aluminium had about a 150mm tear at both mounting points - It is now basically stuffed !!  :mad:

Going to the Rallye Raid in 3 days time means a quick solution needs to be found.

I called up Adventure MX (site sponser) and he came up with this solution: (apology for the pic quality - taken after sunset

KTMSoftPanniers001a.jpg

The left soft pannier is fully extended, the right not. The top bag is very spacious and secures easily
The ally ones are 37 litre each - these are 28 litre (so maybe the sleeping bag just goes on behind me on the seat ?

Another angle

KTMSoftPanniers003a.jpg

KTMSoftPanniers004a.jpg

They also come with rain cover

KTMSoftPanniers005a.jpg

KTMSoftPanniers008a.jpg

And the whole package works out less than R 1 500.00. Even LESS than replacing that one FARKED pannier  :D

Maybe those Androids that did the Angola trip have a point  ;D