Solo across South Africa: Completed. All 11 days.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Cloud.
Next time your back goes out(and it will again)
go to the neaest doc and ask for a shot of Voltaren and Cortizone mixed.
You will be ready to ride the next day.

MrBig said:
You had jam and butter in your panniers  :D

yup
;D

got them at a restaurant a couple of days before the ride.
somehow I just knew they'd come in handy.

Lekker.  Thanks for the effort.

I am also interested in your father's house.  Your step-mother; is she Japanese (or other Oriental)?  The gable in the roof is exquisite.

tok-tokkie said:
Lekker.  Thanks for the effort.

I am also interested in your father's house.  Your step-mother; is she Japanese (or other Oriental)?  The gable in the roof is exquisite.

Nope.
She is Tzaneen born and bred.
However she is the most incredible artist - everything from oil painting and graphic design to furniture making and even sculpture.

For the house: she made the molds for door frames and windows and alcoves. Certain sliding doors are made of aluminium, and she perfected a paint technique to paint on them making them look like wood. She learnt to weld, and even made those gables herself.

Little touches like having the gutter pipes inside the columns are sheer genius. The water is fed to a reservoir.
will post more pics of the house tomorrow.
Even rocks on the path she made, cause she couldn't find ones the right size or flat enough for her tastes.

Great RR, dankie.

Ek wonder waar is generaal Nismark se RR???

SOME ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
First, my Bike.
It performed faultlessly. I was worried about acid leaking from the battery the first night when I left it on it's side for a few hours. But nope. Nothing.
When I finally got the bike up it started immediately.

The thing that impressed me the most though were the panniers. Everybody has said they're kak for off-roading.
I'm not so sure. The biggest problem with them is that they weigh a ton (probably much more than the aluminium kind)

But I think the fact that they are collapsible is a good thing, it seemed to cushion the blows when the bike fell over. I would need to fix and readjust the clips inside. But the panniers themselves coped pretty well.
The mounting system however is total rubbish, and got a bit bent - which resulted in my pannier resting against my exhaust for a bit and getting a little melted.
I'd always been shit scared of dropping my bike when I had the panniers on - but now half a dozen times later, that fear has been laid to rest.

Barkbusters! An absolute must have - no broken leavers, unlike with the standard soft plastic rubbish the Dakkie comes fitted with. Surprisingly none of my indicators got damaged with all the falling.

Second, traveling solo.
I took me a little while to get out of the 'must get there as soon as possible' mindset. I found i didn't stop for pics as often as i should have. And I never really felt unsafe (even without cell phone reception), except for a time when riding on a dirt road close to a township near lydenburg, and knew I wouldn't be able to pick up my bike if I dropped it.
The rest of the time I have no doubt the locals would have been very helpful and friendly.

Third, Packing.
I think I packed too many pairs of socks... other than that i used pretty much everything I had (except my tools) - so I don't really know how to pack lighter than I did. I don't think my gear actually weighs that much, but its the combination of the heavy panniers that make it seem a lot.

Awesome trip. Thanks for the great pics and fantastic story

Envious envy enviouso

I know Greg and Mark they do a lot of work for our company (MDM Architects), nice people! Great RR! :thumleft:

Nice report, thanks Cloudgazer!

The guy on the right looks like eikeboom

P4280110.jpg