Solo sometimes best

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacko said:
Befok! Die wag was die moeite werd. EK laaik jou antwoord: "Great! Now fuck off and leave me alone..."

As hulle huistoe gaan (na daai nat, koue eiland) dan voel hulle 'n fok vir die Pakistani's en Jamaicans en Oos-Europeers wat nou oorneem. Is selfs onplesiering met hulle. O, maar dis so fokken edel om hierheen te kom en jammer te wees vir die 'edele barbare'. Fokken do-gooders.
Ek stem saam, die donners het vrouens en kinders vermoor - go home to your umemployed useless Royalty !!

With an invitation to stay over at the Hankey Hotel before tackling Baviaans I immediately settled in with the owner and his son – in the bar. 

It was not long afterwards that the first farmers started arriving to quench their thirst.  At first they would just check you out but when realizing that you’re actually from the same planet they will open up – man these okes opened up.

Plenty tales of guys on bikes that attempted little trials from out of Baviaans towards Steytlerville, only to break their bikes and return to acknowledge defeat – vushka my bru – Bakkie and Co, be aware…

Next morning I felt particularly shit, apart from the normal babalas symptoms – strange how I always tend to ‘ruk die hoender’.  The hotel owner arranged with his cuzzy, the local GP in Patensie, to sort me out with some cortisone injection et al – within an hour I felt like Valentino Rossi heading towards Baviaans.

This was my first time doing Baviaans and didn’t really know what to expect - some of the farmers warned that the road was in the worst condition ever and Bakkie about keeping to my right at the Smitskraal crossing.  All I did know for a fact was that Baviaans offered one of the most scenic routes and I wanted to check it out….

P4140170-1.jpg

P4140172-1.jpg

P4140174-1.jpg

It was Tuesday, the first working day after Easter, and I felt like an escaped prisoner – the Big Smoke temporarily erased from my memory. 

The road itself turned out be quite easy going as soon as you get into a rhythm – had two close calls with 4x4’s – one kiepie nearly pushed me over the edge on a steep uphill as I was passing him.  His eyes were bigger than mine afterwards so I just kept on moving.

Smitskraal crossing – water level very low

P4140175-1.jpg

P4140176.jpg

Some three hundred meters from the bottom of the last downhill before you get to Smitskraal I came across two guys on bikes going in the opposite direction – although on relatively small bikes (think XT600 & some 250) it was obvious that they were not comfortable with the road conditions and was about to turn around.  I convinced them to at least give it a bit more of a go as it was only the start of the pass.  Hopefully the ambulance that passed me about an hour later wasn’t for them – maybe the sod in the Vito I passed some two hours earlier??

Some more pics of Baviaans

P4140180-1.jpg

P4140182.jpg

P4140186-1.jpg

P4140187-1.jpg

P4140189.jpg

P4140190-1.jpg

I arrived in Uniondale some 4 hours after leaving Patensie  – my destination was Angie’s G-Spot in Prince Alfred pass.  Man this road needed good throttle control as it was slippery as hell – I just could not find the balance and was constantly in some sort of slide..

P4140192-1.jpg

From previous RR’s Angie’s G-Spot looked like the business, and yes, it did not disappoint.  Even though the owners were away on their own bike trip (KTM nogals) I really enjoyed my time with the other travelers as well as the barman / chef from Zim

P4140206-1.jpg

P4140207-1.jpg

I think the owner came up with a brilliant idea when he started this little gem of a place. 

P4140193-1.jpg

P4140200.jpg

P4140237.jpg

I really longed for my dogs when I saw these two chaps….. that small okie is a real persistent bugger and wanted all the attention……

P4140204.jpg

P4140195-2.jpg

The biker tent I ‘scored’ from Bakkie.  If the average two man tent can be compared to an average sized house this little number would most probably be classified as a small bachelor flat – it would completely collapse as soon as you got inside.  Main thing, it was a tent and nogal waterproof too…. Shotto bra.

P4140219-1.jpg

The next morning I just wandered through the owner’s little garden with flowerbeds – pretty unique – “Once upon a time I use to be a goofball, now I’m just an oddball”.

P4150240.jpg

P4150242.jpg

Only left Angie’s at 10 bells the next morning and headed for BMW in George to change the oil – what a pleasure meeting up with Donovan again – always willing to help at short notice and talk a bit of shit.

P4150247.jpg

My Lesotho Slipstream oil

P4140231-1.jpg

From just outside George I started taking farm roads and used the mountain to guide me all the way in the direction of Riversdal where I arrived at 5’ish. 

P4150249.jpg

P4150253.jpg

Quick dop & chop from local butchery & bottle store and I was on my way to Vermaaklikheid.  On these roads you can easily clock in excess of 180km/h without realizing it – you can just as easily miss your turn-offs at this speed and that is exactly what I did. 

Missing Vermaaklikheid completely and too late to catch the ferry across the Malgas River I pushed on to Witsand – that night I braaied and shared my chops and dop with some local fisherman – they also showed me where to pitch my tent – don’t know what time I passed out (WTFC) but woke up pretty refreshed the next morning.

Malgas river crossing

P4160258.jpg

Pearly beach turn off

P4160263.jpg

Kogel Bay – surfer hotspot of note.  Just a pity that my nephew had a prang on that road shortly after this pic was taken – broke couple of toes when he smacked some old toppie head on.  All his mistake as he was driving on the wrong side of the road, thinking it was America.

P4160266.jpg

Rocky Bay & Party time

P4160268.jpg

P4170285.jpg

Gordon’s Bay weather

P4160272.jpg

Lone ‘Blurry’ Ranger

P4170289.jpg

Party, party, party….The Tavern, Gordon’s Bay

P4180323.jpg

Great RR Hondsekierie! Now I see where you wore out your tyre you had replaced when we met at Runner's place on Saturday! :thumleft:

hondsekierie said:
Must say it's damn difficult to write a report on a solo ride, especially when you have difficulty translating your experiences into words - maybe i'm just one of those males that still find it difficult to communicate his feelings :imaposer:

I do however think its important to sometimes leave the 'kak aanjaag buddies' at home and find one self again - with a little solo number.  In hindsight I think it's just the exitement that lacks ???

Wie's jou "kak aanjaag buddies" en wanneer maak jy die RR klaar of het jy jouself verloor in Rocky Bay?

Latest posts