Solo Weekend trip JHB Sani Katse Jhb 2nd and 3rd Nov 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
So my better half told me I have to get out of her hair because she had to do some spring cleaning and I will be very counterproductive to her objectives. So what to do?

After careful consideration I decided, even though it was going to be a huge push for 2 day I wanted to go back to Sani Pass.

I decided to take the highway to Harrismith and from their NO tar!!!!
I send about 3-4 hour planning the trip on basecamp (Garmin) and what an experience!

So Saturday 7 am I headed of the Harrismith.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    95.9 KB
At Harrismith I stopped at Maxxis to fuel up and get a something to eat.
Just outside Harrismith I see the start of the Gravel ! >:D

From Harrismith I headed towards Warden via some awesome gravel ( almost highways) on which I managed to lose my top box.  So after my unplanned stop to pick up my belonging I patch( n boer maak a plan) the top box to get me to warden. In Warden I stopped at the built it and bought some rote at the top box was still sort of ok I just needed to keep the lid shut as the hinges had some damage and the closing mechanism didn’t exist anymore.

From Warden I headed up to the Kamberg nature reserve which basically runs along the Drakensberg up to Himeville  :mwink:

Sani Here we come!

Attachments

• Harrismith.jpg
    Harrismith.jpg
    88.3 KB
  • cow.jpg
    cow.jpg
    116.6 KB
  • kamsberg.jpg
    kamsberg.jpg
    104.7 KB
In the Kamberg Reserve I saw some amazing beautiful things! We are so blessed with a beautiful country!

And so I headed down the last pass into Himevile to fill up and then start the Trip Up Sani Pass!!!!! :ricky:

So as I enter Sani I had to make my first stop at the Famous waterfall on the Sani pass to get a pic! :lol8:

Attachments

• Kamberg stop.jpg
    Kamberg stop.jpg
    122.8 KB
  • kamberg river.jpg
    kamberg river.jpg
    122 KB
  • Himeville pass.jpg
    Himeville pass.jpg
    134 KB
  • sani waterfall.jpg
    sani waterfall.jpg
    148.7 KB
I took my time to enjoy the NICE part of Sani at from the border post it really becomes fun!
I check through the border post on the SA site and mentally prepared me for what lay ahead. I was expecting the huge boarders and really bad road I have about 4 year about when I dropped my bike just after the Sani pass on the A1 in Lesotho.

After the border ( SA side) the road got worse but I was expecting the really bad stuff the come and it never did! The road was rocky but nothing to write home about.

I arrived at the top at about 4:45 pm

Attachments

• sani top.jpg
    sani top.jpg
    124.7 KB
  • sani almost top.jpg
    sani almost top.jpg
    121.8 KB
  • boarder.jpg
    boarder.jpg
    67.8 KB
  • sani start.jpg
    sani start.jpg
    102.7 KB
The evening the guys for Sani Pass Lodge outdid themselves as I watched the rugby and ate some of the best food ever. The next morning, just after breakfast ( 9 or so) I started out towards Katse via via the A1. Now this part of the road looked in the same shape as I remembered. I average 40kph for the next 220 odd km’s to get to my next stop at Katse dam.

4hour and 15 minutes later I stopped at Katse. Sjoe that was a “rowwe” part of the journey. Rocks, kids, donkey’s and truck working on the road made for a challenging trip but eventually I go to Katse.

Attachments

• Sani pass lodge.jpg
    Sani pass lodge.jpg
    91.6 KB
  • sani pass lodge accomidation.jpg
    sani pass lodge accomidation.jpg
    68.6 KB
  • deck view.jpg
    deck view.jpg
    104.6 KB
  • a1 to Katse.jpg
    a1 to Katse.jpg
    149.9 KB
  • on the way to Katse.jpg
    on the way to Katse.jpg
    127 KB
  • water crossing to Katse.jpg
    water crossing to Katse.jpg
    101.4 KB
  • a1 to Katse.jpg
    a1 to Katse.jpg
    149.9 KB
  • Katse dam.jpg
    Katse dam.jpg
    79.9 KB
  • Katse Dam restaurant.jpg
    Katse Dam restaurant.jpg
    125.9 KB
Looks like it was an epic trip biker boy!  That part of the world is really beautiful! Keep the pics coming!  :thumleft:

@Biker Boy

Do you maybe have a mapsource file of your trip?

Gerrie geluk met die trip wat jy aangepak het alleen. DIt is braaf maar dan natuurlik is die satisfaksie ook soveel meer.  Bly om te hoor jy het nie weer teespoed gekry in Lesotho nie.  Het jy dieselfde pad deur Lesotho gery as wat en en jy en Stef  laas gery het? 

Brings back memories of our trip in April to Sani. Man that was a lekker ride.

Thanks for sharing.

Well done to you doing it SOLO!!

TTMAN said:
Gerrie geluk met die trip wat jy aangepak het alleen. DIt is braaf maar dan natuurlik is die satisfaksie ook soveel meer.   Bly om te hoor jy het nie weer teespoed gekry in Lesotho nie.  Het jy dieselfde pad deur Lesotho gery as wat en en jy en Stef  laas gery het? 

Ja dit was dieseldfe deel van Sani af deur na Katsi. SA kan het ek Drakensberg kant gery wat actually ook baie nice was. Meer berger as die een wat ons laas gedoen het.

Da Peeg Kwassi and Klrick

I sent you guys the garman route. Let me know if you guys want any assistance.

I was a awesome trip but very long for a 2 day trip. 12 hour days in the saddle! but still no complaints from my side! We live to ride the gravel!