[SORTED...] Rear Tail Light cluster - 1150 GS / 1150 GSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewse

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Hi guys,

OK - cancel that, I got one from ACME today...

The rear tail-light clusters on our bikes are NOTORIOUS for being finicky - the plastic lugs break very easily and also have numerous 'shorts' due to vibrations...

On my rear tail-light cluster, the recess(socket) into which the globe fits has "vibrated open" and now looks like a 'funnel' instead of being cylindrical. As a result, the light only works about 2% of the time due to a short being created by the globe moving in the socket.

I have temporarily rammed some toothpicks between the globe base and the plastic holder to keep the globe working but I don't think that this fix will last, it will just vibrate loose again.

Repair Advice Please:
If I rebuild it by filling the enlarged gap in the recess with Steel Putty, how do I do it without the globe sticking to the Steel Putty? (I was thinking of covering the globe base with grease/spray-n-cook or something?)
Anyone tried something similar?
I am looking for a used rear tail-light cluster (in working condition with no plastic lugs broken off, etc.)

I have a 2nd-hand rear tail-light cluster but the two plasic screw attachment mounts are damaged.

In case I can't do the fix properly, I am looking for a 2nd-hand one.
I don't want to buy a new cluster (even from motorworks.co.uk) - I'll just wait until I can find a fellow dog that can let me have a used one at a reasonable price...

Any dog know of anyone with a spare one hanging around somewhere?

Latest posts