Steelpoort Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maya - great to see you up and riding again! :)

Nice out there agreed and a great place to ride :thumleft:

Thanks for nice report, Maya the Bee!

Now for a hijack:

I manage an exploration project in the Steelpoort valley, go up there every second week or so (by cage, the KLR is too slow). The trick is that we have made dirt tracks up into the Loulou mountains that are spectacular.  Valley floor is at 900m elevation, top of mountains at 1800m (peaks at 2000m). The view from top is stunning (rugged, remote, with some dagga fields along the way, until we made roads some locals had to walk 7-10km to get to nearest roads).  The roads are in places very steep (Landcruiser doesn't make it if wet) with tight turns.  Some rocky, some compacted turf, some loose surfaces (if wet only the lucky or very good should try it - not me!.  I've been trying for 8 months to get my boet and heavy to go for a weekend, with no success.  They're busy and it IS a long dead ride to get there (although there are excellent dirt roads between Middelburg and Stofberg) (alternative would be via Loskop Dam?).  Plan would be to ride to Burgersfort on a Saturday, with as much gravel as possible, stay over (nice place called Snowy Owl, with lovely pub).  Tackle mountain roads on Sunday morning, through to Jane Furse, then back to civilisation.

Would anyone be interested?  (then I'll make it a proper thread)

hello all, (hijack - i want a GS 800 !!! >:D  not now later.... :'()

Maya - great to see you up and riding again!

Nice out there agreed and a great place to ride

I see you back on your feet again 

The eastern Transvaal is always a lekker destination

:mwink: back on the bike. weird thing is, on the other ride report with Freebee, we stood up the whole way over gravel roads, both practiced it and it worked..i m not an experienced rider when comes to dirt but actually it was much easier than sitting..changing direction with feet and just gassing it worked..only thing is we kept overall speed on dirt max 90kmh. over a 100 it reminds me of my ankle :)

Lekker Alp, that is always an excellent area to ride!

Nice RR, thanks 

yes it was a nice ride. definatly will go there again cuz made some mates over that side. most of them do dirt rides as well, every little home has a quad or a mx bike (or a GS) ..

Thanks for nice report, Maya the Bee!

Now for a hijack:

I manage an exploration project in the Steelpoort valley, go up there every second week or so (by cage, the KLR is too slow).

it is a bit anooying on tar sometimes , since you have luggage and so but gotto take it as it is, I was thinking the same thing and in my mind i made piece with owning a GS 800 (a blondie one) , justification is that u can go where the KLR goes on dirt, but on tar u can cruise wihtout worrying about overtaking cagers.

The trick is that we have made dirt tracks up into the Loulou mountains that are spectacular.  Valley floor is at 900m elevation, top of mountains at 1800m (peaks at 2000m). The view from top is stunning (rugged, remote, with some dagga fields along the way,

so u recon we burn the fields then run back to the bikez and stand up and gas them thru the whole field ? ? will it work ? :biggrin:

until we made roads some locals had to walk 7-10km to get to nearest roads).  The roads are in places very steep (Landcruiser doesn't make it if wet) with tight turns.  Some rocky, some compacted turf, some loose surfaces (if wet only the lucky or very good should try it - not me!.  I've been trying for 8 months to get my boet and heavy to go for a weekend, with no success.  They're busy and it IS a long dead ride to get there (although there are excellent dirt roads between Middelburg and Stofberg) (alternative would be via Loskop Dam?).  Plan would be to ride to Burgersfort on a Saturday, with as much gravel as possible, stay over (nice place called Snowy Owl, with lovely pub).  Tackle mountain roads on Sunday morning, through to Jane Furse, then back to civilisation.

Would anyone be interested?  (then I'll make it a proper thread)

whatever trip is fine by myself. i just love riding.