Tankwa Trek 16 - 30 September 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I've been eyeing the Tankwa Cross Country Rally, wanting to spectate since last year, but it is perilously close to my niece's birthday on the 23rd. However, since the Big One (21 years old) has passed, I feel I can take a small reprieve.

This year, our HR Dept informed me of a policy dictating employees take at least 10 consecutive days' leave per leave cycle, and that my leave cycle expires at the end of September. I checked my leave and noticed that I had 9 days available, and noticed a Public Holiday happening in September. I checked with my manager who said they usually ignore these notices, but as long as I only take leave after 15 September, I could avail myself.

I decided to be a good employee, and comply with the policy, for the (my) greater good :biggrin:

I have a vague idea of meandering the Cederberg and Tankwa Karoo for a few days, then head to Rooiputs for the Rally. Attend the rally as a spectator, hopefully riding some stunning tracks to see the action. (This is dependent on getting information on "registering" as a spectator and being able to book accommodation and meals, something I haven't achieved despite trawling the WCOC website and stalking the relevant contact details... ::) )

After the Rally, I want to take a wide turn home - either towards the west coast and then down, or over to the east coast and then down. I heard there are elephants to be seen. And I haven't visited Gamkaskloof yet.

I plan to leave Somerset West on Monday 16 September, camping wherever I can, and staying in accommodation with meals when they are affordable. No pre-bookings - except for the Rally - I'm too lazy. And I enjoy camping.

If the spectating doesn't work out, and the weather isn't too hot, I'd love to visit Richtersveld Park and Namaqualand Park instead.

By some accounts I'm not the fearful novice rider I paint myself to be, but I am cautious although fairly confident on gravel. I enjoy the smaller, lesser traveled roads but if it becomes very gnarly, I'd feel better if a competent person was riding along. I probably won't exceed 100km, even on tar. If I'm careful, I can reach 400km on a tank. The ruffian has shown me a better fuel range :ricky:

Any pointers and suggestions welcome - both accommodation and routes, especially if accompanied by GPX tracks. If the suggestions are too enticing, I might skip the Rally in part or entirely. Nothing is fixed.

Any company welcome, for some part or the whole of the 2-week ride. I love being inside my own head, but I probably shouldn't spend too much time there without adult supervision :eek: 
Also you're on your own when it comes to cooking, I'm not house-trained yet. :peepwall: