Tannie Groenie does Dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groenie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
After a very late night, we struggled out of bed this morning at 7, when the baby sitters arrived. My first thoughts were: Do I really have to do this? Strange how putting on your biking gear, just makes you feel better.

We decided against doing Breeds Nek and went to Renosterspruit instead.
I still can't believe we have such a nice area just around the corner.

It was the first time Tannie Groenie was on the back of a bike for any sort of distance and she was quite nervous, so we stopped for a smoke just as you enter the area.

Anelle003.jpg

We found the way to Lanseria quite easy and the Jukskei was low enough to let us through.

Anelle004.jpg

A very easy water crossing actually. I sommer went back to do it again.

Anelle005.jpg

Anelle007.jpg

Not too happy about getting her new boots wet.

Anelle008.jpg

Just before you get to Lanseria, we found this.......Eish baas, ekke dink hy es gafok...

Anelle009.jpg

We then explored for another hour or so, taking every turn off we found. Most of them are dead-ends. And then it became time to let the new Wilddog loose on the dirt. Very impressive, 3rd day that she's ever ridden and doing water already!

Anelle011.jpg

Afterwards we went for a beer or two and I could see, she's been converted. "I get very nervous on the tar, but the dirt is LEKKER" was her words. The best of all is that she enjoyed it and is already planning the next ride.

Now she just has to get an appointment for a learners and do the 2 day training thingy at Zwartkops. That's already booked..

Congrats Groenie. It's nice share a passion. Me & Mrs Trailrider are also planning a trip this week. She has her own bike - soon your Mrs will also want one...

I enjoy reports like these... this is what it is all about! :thumbleft:

That tractor is classic!! :shock: :lol: :lol: "Baas... it tied the chain to the tree... revved the engine... popped the clutch... and EISH! She did jump over backward!! HAU!!! :shock: :shock: "

i know where that is!
that cause way can get pretty damn slippery with slime, so hats off to you for doing it twice.
did you find the hole halfway through? it is to the upstream side of the causeway and can swallow a front wheel quite well :lol: .
i saw that tractor a week ago when i went kayaking on the river. i wanted to stop and take a picture, but i was pissed off because i had a freshly broken rear window due to a kayak falling off the roof.

a few statistics for you:
from that causeway the river flows through some of the most spectacular and secluded spots, something you would only see if you paddle downstream. there are some lekker rapids between this causeway and broederstroom (where it flows into the dam).
straight line distance from here to broederstroom is 13km.
distance via river is 26km.
at a very leisurely pace it takes about 5 hours to paddle in a whitewater boat or "tupperware" as we call it.

here is a website where one can check the flow of the river in cubic metres per second (in the top left, select crocodile west and marico).
https://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx
the location of the station is below the confluence with the hennops.
25 is normal, but in full flood after serious rain in joburg it can reach 140 cumecs, which would put that causeway about 2m under water :shock:

here is a pic of my bud mike on a recent paddle down the croc starting at the lanseria causeway:
DSC00047.jpg

well done groenie, I also recently got the missus on the bike - better that driving them round in cars - you dont have to listen to the yacking :D

That 'hole' in the middle seems to have been filled in. When we got there, a couple of mountan bikers were just crossing it. The one guy actually pedaled all the way to the middle and got off, so I walked in to have a look. The hole is about 6inches deeper than the rest, not realy a problem. Very slippery though.

On the way back from Lanseria I did the crossing with my wife on the back.

Nice one there Groenie and Tannie, hows the bank balance because I see another bike in the not to distant future :) :)

She wants a KLR as well, so it won't hurt the bank balance too much. Think we'll wait for the new improved one later in the year

Nice report Groenie, Good to see the missus enjoying herself :wink:

That is such a cool area to ride in.
If you are looking for more of a challenge, just before you get to the river crossing, there is a turn off to the left with a sign "MTB 3". Take that route and enjoy the single track.

very muddy, awesome ride that follows the river for a while and plenty of places to practice your off road riding. :D

Well done Mrs Groenie! You are a lucky man Groenie.

hehe. That tractor. Made me think of the kids move "Cars". Mater scaring the tractors causing them to flip like that. :lol: :lol:

Groenie,

Nice to see Mrs Groenie on the dirt.

Last time I rode that route, the locals wanted to shoot the sh#t out of us. They said that the road is private and because they maintain the road, they do not want none locals to ride it because of security reasons and because bike damage the road surface.

Well done once again on not being a target for one of those farmers guns.

FortyZA said:
Last time I rode that route, the locals wanted to shoot the sh#t out of us. They said that the road is private and because they maintain the road, they do not want none locals to ride it because of security reasons and because bike damage the road surface.

aaag, those arseholes who live there will make up a million reasons why they think they can keep that beautifull part of the country to themselves.

I DONT GIVE A DAMN!!!

who do they think they are?
by some random, drawn out chain of events over the history of this country they are now in the sole posession of a piece of land that GOD put there for EVERYONE on the planet to enjoy.

ive had it with people like that - they claim ownership of the road, yet they dont put up any fences or gates. usually they put up some false sign stating "private road", and then when they see you riding a bike on "their" roads they usually get agro. the fact is, those roads are servitudes. which means they give access. access to go visit someone, or access to the causeway at lanseria, in the same way that the road infront of my house gives access, but you dont see me confronting passers by for whatever reasons. they never seem to have a problem with cars on "their" roads either, only bikes :evil:

i once rode there on my quad. we were confronted by a loser claiming ownership of the road/servitude. we said sorry and wanted to leave, but he wouldnt let us and stood infront of me waving a cellphone around saying that his neighbours are on the way with guns. i asked him to not threaten me with guns as i was not tresspassing - we hadnt entered through any gates or fences, nor had we seen any signs. he said something about looking down the barrel of a shotgun.
i then politely asked him to "please get out of the way".
he stood fast.
again i said "move"
no action.
i then thought "as jy nie will hoor nie moet jy voel"
i pulled off with all 50 horsepower and rammed the bliksem hard. he grabbed hold of the handlebars. his hand then inadvertantly opened the throttle even more and his eyes grew proportionately :lol:
we were about 100m down the road when i finally managed to prise his clutches from my handlebars.
he then got sucked under! :lol:
both my friends benind me "couldnt" swerve in time either, and rode over him too! :lol:

tsk tsk Kwat riders... :twisted:

I'd have waited till the guns arrived, then charged them with pointing of a firearm.
Let thier weapons be confiscated, at least taken by the cops for a week or two.
Push the charges through.

Those farmers are in groot kak there without weapons to defend themselves.

Goenie, please tell you wife I think she's a champ. Get her a bike PLEASE!! It would be nice not to be the only girl in the group most of the time.

Well done Oom and Tannie :D

I can see lots of fun being had by the 2 of you.