The 3 Cape trip(warning Harley content)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day five arrives as a Sunday. Today will see us leaving Graaff Reinet and heading to our overnight stop of Canarvon. We awake and once again pack the bike to get ready for the road ahead.
We have a light breakfast and bid our farewell to our hosts at the guesthouse. we start up and proceed to the engen garage where we will meet everyone else. We are probably close to 30 bikes taking this route.
I am not a big fan of riding in big groups,but the road is long enough for everyone to get into their own space. We all fill up and head on out,in smaller groups of about 5 bikes at a time.

As we ride out of Oudtshoorn along the dam we nearly get taken out by an ostrich running across the road. fortunately we all slow down in time and the mad bird goes running off into the distance.
Ok so it is close to 100km to our first stop in Murraysburg,off we go.Everyone rides at their own pace,i am glad to be on the open road after two days of not much riding. First stint ends up with three of us in a nice tight group flying through the countryside,the speed felt good for the soul.
The first hundred kays are a bit of a blur,but goes bye very quickly. We stop in Murraysburg and wait for the others to arrive. There is not much happening here,a few cars parked outside the church and a few local bevolking checking us out,ha ha are they in for a surprise when they walk out that church.
Slowly but surely the rest start pulling into town  ,some have music playing on their bikes. this surely is gonna bring people out into the streets. No not really,no one came out.
After regrouping we head off again towards Victoria West,again another hundred or so km's. The road is pretty good and the weather is great,what more could one ask for.
We arrive in Vic west and see there are a few other bikes there already,they had left a while before us out of GR. It was decided to have a bite to eat .
While the food order was in,I took out the camera for the first time of the day.....

And as far as Harley's on trailers go

We had a bite to eat and then it was on to Loxton ,which is about 90km further up the R63. The trip to Loxton was pretty uneventful , we did some silly speeds on that section but you hardly saw a car.
Ok so Loxton came up,and as I looked down from the road towards the town i saw a bike. as i mentioned we rode in small groups so a lot of the time you could be riding along on your own,but knowing there are people in front and behind you. so i see this bike so turn off to see if others are there too. But I see no other bike,and man is Loxton dead on a Sunday.
So it turns out it was just the two of us that turned off. we head back up to the main drag and head off in the direction of Canarvon about 60km's away.we arrive there in about half an hour.
man oh  man it sure looks like a shithole. The streets are dirty and the whole town looks dull and dusty.

We pull up to the hotel and the Blikkies bar

We get told we have accommodation at few different guesthouses,so we all head off into various directions. Fortunately our spot is right next door to the restaurant where we will be having dinner that evening.
It has been a great ride for the day but now it is time once again to party.
We all end up in the restaurant and have a great time,the staff are friendly and the service pretty good albeit a little slow. I am not sure they are used to having so many people in a single evening.

with dinner over it is time to go back to the Blikkies bar to party some more..we got warned that they will be closing early because it is Sunday night,yeah right

It gets late and we walk back to our digs for the night,pretty tired after a long day.   

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for the effort with the RR  :thumleft:

Will finish the rest when i get home tonight,if I get the time. The best scenery for me was still to come

Was great running into you and the missus!!!

BTW, beautiful bike you have!!!!

man Oh man that Road King looks like an awesome machine  :drif:

Glad you guys had a great trip  :thumleft:

thanks for sharing

Lem said:

thanks for sharing

I've always wondered which Harley I'll one day buy myself. There are just so many. Now I know... that Road King has a presence and if you gonna pose, do it properly  :biggrin:

looks like you had a great time . thanks for the great read :thumleft:

jupiter said:
Lem said:

thanks for sharing

I've always wondered which Harley I'll one day buy myself. There are just so many. Now I know... that Road King has a presence and if you gonna pose, do it properly  :biggrin:

The idea behind the Road King was all about comfort. Monique has had back problems for a few years so it made sense to get something relatively comfortable. The RK also has that old school look to it which i dig,and at the same time is fairly modern with EFi,ABS and proper cruise control. After 40 000km it has required nothing more than services,tyres and petrol. Nothing has ever broken on this bike and unlike older Harley's,no need to top up oil between services.
It is something we enjoy together and would never want to lose that , I rarely ride the bike on my own.

Great RR and pics  :thumleft:

Die Harley bikers lyk darem baie "tougher" as die klomp wilddogs  :peepwall:

:lol8:

subie said:

Die Harley bikers lyk darem baie "tougher" as die klomp wilddogs   :peepwall:

Ag Subie all bikers are mostly the same no matter what they ride

whitedelight said:
subie said:

Die Harley bikers lyk darem baie "tougher" as die klomp wilddogs   :peepwall:

Ag Subie all bikers are mostly the same no matter what they ride

Ek spot sommer bietjie met die wilddogs.  Ek hou van alle bikes van n 50cc  tot watter grote ookal.  :thumleft:

whitedelight said:
jupiter said:
Lem said:

thanks for sharing

The idea behind the Road King was all about comfort. Monique has had back problems for a few years so it made sense to get something relatively comfortable. The RK also has that old school look to it which i dig,and at the same time is fairly modern with EFi,ABS and proper cruise control. After 40 000km it has required nothing more than services,tyres and petrol. Nothing has ever broken on this bike and unlike older Harley's,no need to top up oil between services.
It is something we enjoy together and would never want to lose that , I rarely ride the bike on my own.

about three years ago I had the pleasure of taking a Road King for spin on demo day, up to Philadelphia & back through Durbanville. I had Anmar on pillion as well. Out of the six Harley's I have ridden, this one was for sure the most comfortable. I really felt as if this Harley I could easily ride to Joburg in one day. Ergonomically it was perfect for myself & Anmar, and as a open road two-up tourer I will prefer this to a BMW RT or even a GT. The Softail Fatboy is also nice, but the Road King's rear suspension is just in another league. 

Great report!

I'd love my wife to get into biking. She's not a fan of a KTM at all regardless how easy and smooth I try and make it. Some long low plush thing would be more her style.

Great night last night at the Harley Club, didn't find you to say goodbye.

Kamanya said:
Great report!

I'd love my wife to get into biking. She's not a fan of a KTM at all regardless how easy and smooth I try and make it. Some long low plush thing would be more her style.

Great night last night at the Harley Club, didn't find you to say goodbye.

Ja it was a good surprise to see you and and the missus there. Sorry we did not get to say cheers. I must have been out at the back with the smokers.