The Camel Iron Butt Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KTM BIGGER said:
Great ride,

However word of advice "Dont ride alone!!!"

That sand road, which part of the ride is that. Could yo please give some details to which turn off.

Yeah. I know I should'nt ride alone, bur I tried to get some okes. Everybody cancelled. So. I did it alone.  ;D Had al lot of spares though, and with the exception of a moerse fall I would be able to manage.

Also left a detailed 'Flight Plan' with stage lengths and check in times with my wife. In the event I missed a checkin time, she would know were to send help too.

Mark Hardy said:
Congrats on the ride, sometimes doing rides like that are more rewarding doing them solo. Still I wish I could have joined you.

You would have smaaked that ride Mark!

Andy 950 said:
Well done on doing this one on your own. When you decide to do it over 2 days I'll join you. Cool pics, how is the high mudguard working for you? Is it a Super moto guard?

I think two days would be good. There are some spots were one could do a bush camp. Unfortunetaly I had too do it in the time my wife spent at her parents. ;D

I've had second thoughts on the high mud guard. It has its benifits when riding in massive sticky mud, but the shocks and cables aren't as well protected as in the original. I'm not sure of the source of the mudguard, as I bought it 2nd hand with it already fitted. The prevouis ownere did give me the original as well.

Ama ride ride said:
Not sure but did you took the road that turns off from the Ceres Calvibnia highway....via uitspanskraal, Doringrivier and on to Biedouw? (joining teh Wuperthal road?)

I"m not sure either. Its mapped on the Tracks4Africa maps. Its just after the turn-off to Middelpos. 60km from Calvinia on the R355. To your left.

I'll load the GPS map and waypoints this evening from my GPS and post it here.

Camelman said:
Mark Hardy said:
Congrats on the ride, sometimes doing rides like that are more rewarding doing them solo. Still I wish I could have joined you.

You would have smaaked that ride Mark!

I know, I'm still want that ride again. You have know got me wanting to do something out that end march, lets plan something ...say 1000km, 1day ride through the karoo and surounds.

I have a 1000km route in mind. Lots of unchartered routes around Carnavon. Maybe make it a 1400km trip. Do 700 km a day. That way we can venture nice and far.

Cool, looks like we have 3 silver 950's ready and waiting >:D

Tx for your thoughts on the high mudguard. Bloody expensive to buy new brake lines!!!!

Ok I,m going to start a thread in the planning section for the end of March for one long ride either over two days or one. But lets not make it exclusive for KTM'or BMW etc  ;)

Nice ride report,I v done that route 3 times.Once the river was full though.There are many routes off that road,including a fairly large pan on the way to Niewoudtville.Lovely part of the world, spectacular in flowering season.

Nice one Camelman, thanks for posting and yes, a photo is worth a 1000 words!

Mungo Park said:
Nice ride report,I v done that route 3 times.Once the river was full though.There are many routes off that road,including a fairly large pan on the way to Niewoudtville.Lovely part of the world, spectacular in flowering season.

Howzit Mungo

Could you cross the full river with your bike?

Kameelman, Nou sien ek wat jy bedoel het..

ek kan net imagine hoe jy teen 160kph deur die gravel gevlieg het

Camelman what a SOOPA ride that rise of seand between the hard gravel looks not so cool ... ??? itm looks like you had a stunning time...you have everyone hooked  ;D ;D ;D

:)Howzit boet great ride report,wish i was there.Looking forward to a ride together again.I was hoping you will do the ktm run?

Now that this thread has been resurrected, ( I almost forgot I had done it! NOT  ;D ), how about a sleepover in the middle somewhere on that route. We have to do it before winter as the river cannot be crossed during the rainy season!

Steve! Its Bradleys, and XT660R who showed me some of those KTM moves!

im in

date and time pls  >:D >:D >:D

This weekend Steve/ Ebs. Leaving Friday morning. Be back Sunday sometime. 1000km +. Be sure to pack 5l water.

I'm packing 5l water + 5l fuel. Need it to cross from Clanwilliam to Ceres/Calvinia/Middelpos or where ever. PM me if you're keen.  ;D