The Fyndraai Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thousands of years ago mammoths roamed the earth, and it is believed they scratched themselves against these rocks when they had an itch:

347B.jpg

349B.jpg

The Steytlerville Eco-trail traverses the Baviaans mountain above this farm. It is a hectic route and is covered elsewhere on the forum. Access is via the adjoining farm, permission is to be arranged with that farmer.
Some parts of the route can be seen here:

294B.jpg

296B.jpg

341B.jpg

The huts on the farm are in a kloof just above the farmhouse. They can sleep 8 - 12 people on a self-catering basis and are well equipped. Kitchen/lounge, braai place, 220 V, hot showers.

250B.jpg

363B.jpg

Bookings can be arranged with Leonie at 0794382699. Rates are very reasonable.
The farm can be reached by taking the Winterhoek road from Willowmore, or the Boshoek road 10 km from Steytlerville.
The farm gate is at S33.47751 E24.12154.

Sprocket what camera do you have and which lens was used for the shots.Must say they are very good.And sitting here makes me quite jealous.Amazing how many little dorpies have been abandoned during the years.Was driving in the cage with my old Dad one year near that area and we had just been to check out Darlington Dam and were on our way to stay in one of those disused farmhouses you mentioned near Aberdeen and came across Waterford also basically abandoned save a few coloured families.I think we will see more of this in the years to come.
I drive through Steynsberg and Hofmeyer regularly and they are falling apart.

Ps whose little Meerkat was that.Do they make good pets if hand reared.

Thanks plonker.
Used a Canon 350D. Almost all shots were with the 'kit' lens from a 450D, I find it to be better than that of the 350D.
Some shots with a polarizing filter.

Only on the farm did I use a Canon 70-200 f4L and Sigma 10-20 mm as well.

Ask Dustdevil about the meerkat. They do get very tame but I remember from way back they always used to warn you that there is a risk they can spread rabies.

The next morning we set off for Patensie via Grootrivier Poort.

368B.jpg

370B.jpg

I have driven this route exactly a year ago with my bakkie but was taken by surprise: No apparent maintenance had been done and it was quite tricky in places. On steep bits the ruts had been spun out deeply, lots of loose rocks etc.
Sadly, no pictures of the challenging bits.

379B.jpg

383B.jpg

Both of us enjoyed that route. We reached Patensie in time for an early lunch before setting off for Baviaanskloof.
It was getting extremely hot and we were looking forward to catching a dip at one of the water crossings.
No such luck: water levels were very low and the water stank.
At Smitskraal the braai spots and picnic tables are being refurbished:

386B.jpg

It was a pleasure to ride during the week. Apart from the crews repairing the road we only came across one bakkie full of PB's during the whole ride.
Watched a Leguaan legging it in that akward gait:

391B.jpg

By now it was late afternoon and we felt we had done enough riding for the day. We pulled into Doornkloof Bush Camp unannounced and unplanned, with very few options for supper or breakfast. The owner's wife Adele came to the rescue: she supplied a cooler box with boerewors, fresh rolls, margarine, jam, beetroot salad, cooldrink etc at a very reasonable price. One of the workers obtained 6 ice cold Castles from a nearby shebeen, add in one large bag of wood and we were sorted for the night.
Spacious campsites, all the other campers were super friendly and we had a great time:

401B.jpg

What I did discover that night is that the el-cheapo Campmaster tent does not ventilate well. It was a warm night and there were lots of insects. Initially I slept on top of my bedding with the mosquito net closed. I woke up sopping wet with condensate dripping from the tent walls and ceiling. After waking up drenched one doesn't easily fall asleep again so the next morning I felt as if I had hardly slept.

Nuwekloof pass, direction Willowmore:

405B.jpg

By the time we reached Willowmore it was very hot again. Quick bite to eat and 2 beers at the Royal Hotel. They have an African Grey on the stoep that knows all the sounds of the main road: Police sirens, truck brakes, trucks reversing, most likely "Jou Maaa......se........peppermint twist tert" also.

Willowmore, Klaarstroom, Prince Albert:

410B.jpg

418B.jpg

The wind had picked up and it had cooled down significantly by the time we reached Prince Albert Road:

Attachments

• 425 B.jpg
    425 B.jpg
    248.3 KB
Our destination for the night was Sutherland. After crossing the N1 the route via Merweville and Rammelkop Pass to Sutherland is a long trek, especially with a very strong wind diagonally from the front. The road to Merweville is in the process of being tarred. Abel took these two pics with an Olympus pocket jobbie:

PB030039B.jpg

PB030040B.jpg

The wind was now so strong that Abel had to steady my bike when I took pictures:

428B.jpg

426B.jpg

Rammelkop Pass:

435B.jpg

437B.jpg

439B.jpg

With the Honda still not having lights, we rolled into Sutherland at nightfall.

Really enjoying this.

Just sorry I got that puncture so never got to ride your bike.  Another time.

Thanks for the offer and thanks for the report.

PeterO: if the oppurtunity doesn't present itself soon we'll make a plan.
You need to see what WP suspension is all about.

More Please!!!!,

Did you 2 play ching chong cha to open the gates along Rammelkop Pass?

RCerrie said:
Did you 2 play ching chong cha to open the gates along Rammelkop Pass?

We took turns. The worst was however the Gifberg area, easily 50 gates.
My legs were stiff from all the mounting / dismounting.

We didn't do any homework regarding accomodation at Sutherland. Camping was out of the question, it was going to be a very cold night. I have slept in the hotel before and decided to give a guest house a try. We opted for The Jupiter.
Price-wise it worked out very similar to the hotel. Supper was good & breakfast OK.
Early morning it was overcast & misty and then it started to drizzle.

446B.jpg

We filled up at the garage and I saw Milkman's DRZ standing in the workshop.
I asked the attendant "What's wrong with that?"
He said: "Nothing".  ???

Some will remember the quagmire we encountered between Ouberg Pass and Sutherland on the way to the 2009 bash. This time it was just slightly less muddy and nearly as slippery.

453B.jpg

456B.jpg

The escarpment.                                                                                          This is the cold side ------------------------------->

460B.jpg

Once we reached the Karoo floor the temperature was much more pleasant.

468B.jpg

Unbelievably, neither of us had ridden Katbakkies Pass before. Long stretches of it has now been tarred but it is an amazing pass.

473B.jpg

474B.jpg

We had some rain on the stretch to Cedarberg Oasis but that didn't bother us much, it soon cleared again. As we parked off with a cold beer we phoned the guys from the BMW club to see how they were doing.
Abel asked:"So when can we expect to see you?"
"Tomorrow" was the answer. We were rather puzzled that they had seemingly changed their plans.
So I asked Gerrit:"What day is it today?"
"Thursday".    :dousing:
We camped out in the orchard for the whole weekend, ate and drank as much as we wanted to and simply relaxed.

477B.jpg

Sunday morning we headed back home via Ceres.

483B.jpg

The only problem the KTM had was an oil leak on the front sprocket shaft. I assumed the oil seal was packing up and regularly checked and topped up the oil.

489B.jpg

It was messy but kept the chain lubricated:

491B.jpg

Once home it came to light that the nut had worked loose. It wasn't torqued correctly and Locktite should be used.
No damage :thumleft:

In closing we would like to thank everybody that assisted us on this trip. We both enjoyed it tremendously!
Johan & Yolande @ Brandvlei.
ETS + family in Prieska.
Daan & Rudi, Kimberley.
Abel's mother, Kimberley.
My relatives in Steytlerville.
Gerrit & Chantal from Cedarberg Oasis.

As far as our packing and luggage went I believe we were very close to spot-on. There was hardly a thing we didn't use.

In particular the best stuff was:
Airhawk seat. My bum loved it and it makes a great cushion at night.
Down sleeping bag & compression dry bag.
7.5cm Thermarest.
Kappa saddle bags. I always could access everything I wanted quickly.
Cappacino sachets.
Giant Loop tankbag which I bought from Dustdevil at the bash.

Good enough:
Mighty Atom gas stove.
Army Dixie's, fire bucket.
Flavoured Tuna in cans, 2 minute noodles, gammon ham in oval can.
Garmin Nuvi 500.

Now I can't wait for the next trip...........

RCerrie said:
Nice pics, cant wait for the rest. We passed you guys in the Cederberg @ Oasis on the Friday. Saw the KTM an XR from the road. Lekker manne :thumleft:

Looks like a nice spot, should have pulled in and stayed a while :thumleft:

EPIC post! :thumleft:

Any chances of that Mapsource file  :mwink:

westfrogger said:
EPIC post! :thumleft:

Any chances of that Mapsource file  :mwink:

Very good question.
1) I'm a good map reader.
2) My PC skills suck.

I just spoke to Leftless this weekend, to negotiate that part in the Hantam the auto-reroute should have been switched to "off".

I will have to go and visit N[]va with my laptop + GPS + 6 beers because the route we plotted, the route the GPS directed and the route we really took all seem to merge into one jumble.

Will get back to you.  :deal: