The Law and Offroad trails.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevgh0

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
What does the law say about riding on private municipal property.

For instance, we ride along many railway lines riding on roads that belongs to SARS, also we cross through private property sometimes even ride in Nature reserves without even knowing it.

Heres what happend on Wednesday

Ebs (ktm640ADV and a friend (forgot his name now) YZ450 , Me(Wr450) and my mate Jacques (Yz450) went for a cruise around the back of parklands. everythinkg went all cosy untill me and Jacques broke away from Ebs, (seriously couldnt keep up) we followed our own jeep track sand trail to the back of sunningdale. There i decided to take J to the dunes i discovered earlier the week by following other trails. So we rode along this sandy road for about 2 km and behold, right next to the Westcoast road, about 2km from sunningdale, dunes roughly the size of 2 rugby fields.  I noticed cage tracks and some quad tracks but it did not bother me much, who is really going to come look here.

After about 30minutes of playing in our new sand pit, a white ISUZU arived with sirens and what what. Me having my kind nature of strangling people who come across as arrogant idiots, i decided not to run, but rather wait and see what this oke's(now dressed in green ) problem was.

suddenly i noticed he was a nature reservist? and now i knew that we were in the wrong place. He came at us with all sort of agroness, telling us we cant be here and he could if he wanted to, coviscate our vehicles. (at this point it was only him and his so called other treesmoker friend in the bakkie and me and jacques.  I told him to calm down and not speak to me the way he wants to or im gonna give him a hiding, this calmed him down (i think he noticed that it was only him and his friend there and an angry boerseun with a helmet is not something to mess with. ) and i said, well we followed some tracks and ended up here. we decided to play. We are sorry and we will go now. He appologized and said that its not a good idea to ride here(dunes or the back of parklands) as it belongs to gardencities and they can also conviscate the bikes.

we left and enjoyed the last bit of sand trail back to the open veld at the back of parklands where suddenly out of nowhere ebs appeared with his mate.

now this leaves me with a couple of questions.

there are tons of trails in the bush, the other day we rode a short bit but got stuck on a hill with lito and the others. I would assume this belongs to the nature reserve too? I followed a sandy track yesterday and ended up on the big dune overlooking doodles and table mountain yesterday. I knew i was not allowed to be up there and i didnt make any noise, but the sight was awesome!

My point of this meaningless thread, what chances are we taking when we go and ride?