The Rock - Gauteng Sun 12 April

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JourneyMan said:
Lekker! Good to see the rock again.

Did you two moegoes not go up Koos se Klim? ::) :biggrin:

Rear mud gaurd. As in lost tail piece?

No the "poop scoop" piece  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Would like to see this klippie one day, looks quite impressive.  Nice pics.  8)

shame on you fun-suicide and welsh-strangler,,,,

for taking our newbies out to the rock for a sacrifice,,,,

but then again their talent in shebeen finding is awesome,,,

nice one,,,all of yous,,,

Lekka guys

Love that rock and the 360deg 150Km view - awesome.

One day I wanna spend a night solo up there - sort of aboriginal "walkabout".

Just me, the bike, the stars - and a small bottle of OB. 

hmmm,,,make that a rather biggish OBS,,,,

but can you imagine,,,the rock on a moonlit nite,,,a sparky fire and a lonely diggery doo humming in the background,,,oops who brought the aborigne

but seriosly,,,maybe we should attempt a sleepover on the rock,,,,

let the wd's "that know" who ever you "need to know" arrange it,,,,

ehm funacide, welsh, advmx, shark-za ??????

i wuz gonna mention plotti but we all know his track record for rocks lately

malgat said:
hmmm,,,make that a rather biggish OBS,,,,

but can you imagine,,,the rock on a moonlit nite,,,a sparky fire and a lonely diggery doo humming in the background,,,oops who brought the aborigne

but seriosly,,,maybe we should attempt a sleepover on the rock,,,,

let the wd's "that know" who ever you "need to know" arrange it,,,,

ehm funacide, welsh, advmx, shark-za ??????

i wuz gonna mention plotti but we all know his track record for rocks lately

We had a chat with the chief on Sunday, he was quite amenable to the idea  8) 

heyta,,,,good job guys,,,,,,now put a date to it,,,

dont make it too big,,,only jameson drinkers,,,and ehm jack daniels???

before we announce a bash,,,lets just send a scouting party,,,

suck up to the chief kinda party,,,

courtesy of the local sheep farmer and shabeen owner

if you get agreement and it doesnt clash with da 4x4 big guns i will arrange the rest,,,

at least this way i get to go as well,,,wooo hoooo

Captain Slow said:
What is the real name of this klip?

Where is it located?

It seems to be affectionately know as 'Koos se Klip' - although that seems to refer to the almost 45degree climb on the other side - the photos where we were sitting on the rock face (not riding it)  :-\ .

It is located 15Km East of Beestekraal, 30 Km North of Brits (S25 21.469 E27 44.677).

Cheers, Tony

The Rock....what a awsome trip to experience....went with Shark_ZA and a couple of other riders once...it was a site to behold  .... I walked up and around it ...too expensive to fall over on it with a bike.... you could go slipping and slipping and slidding coming out at the bottom a vetaran faller...you could even start to write your thread "The Long Way Down" and "The Long Walk Home"

I need to get back there someday soon, so will be watching this space for more rides ....

Moondog said:
Captain Slow said:

Where is it located?

It seems to be affectionately know as 'Koos se Klip' - although that seems to refer to the almost 45degree climb on the other side - the photos where we were sitting on the rock face (not riding it)  :-\ .

It is located 15Km East of Beestekraal, 30 Km North of Brits (S25 21.469 E27 44.677).

Cheers, Tony

Captain Slow said:

Most call it "The Rock"
There are three routes up there and the steepest one is called "Koos se klim" because Koos was the first in his Land Cruiser to drive up there as I understand. (he also got married up there)

In the bush there is also a road called "god se pad" (more serious than Koos se klim) Has anyone done it with a mx bike?
See photo below.

Captain Slow said:
Where is it located?

Next to Ga-Tsogwe (very close to Jericho) north of Brits.

Attachments

• koos op god se pad.jpg
    koos op god se pad.jpg
    40.4 KB
Yep - Koos Zietsman : here is the post where he put this specific Cruiser up for sale (note, he calls it Koos se Klip) ..... https://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=354409

" One thing about a Cruiser, if you ask about fuel consumption then you should probably not buy it! I got 5km/l once, mainly 4.5 km/l on the open road. That's not what a Cruiser is about, this vehicle was the firts to drive up Koos se Klip and Godsepad at Moegatle, that's where a Cruiser comes alive..."

For some fun, you really should do a YouTube search on both "Koos se Klim" and "Koos se Klip"

Cheers, Tony

Some old videos:

Ox
https://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/shark_za/TheRock/?action=view&current=OXROCK.flv

shark_za
https://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/shark_za/TheRock/?action=view&current=SharkRock.flv

Sláinte Mhaith said:
Some old videos:

Ox
https://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/shark_za/TheRock/?action=view&current=OXROCK.flv

shark_za
https://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/shark_za/TheRock/?action=view&current=SharkRock.flv

Found these elsewhere on the forum while doing some research before Sundays ride. Having now actually seen "Koos se Klim", I can tell you that you have got to be either very talented or very crazy (or probably both) to attempt that climb on a DS bike. The photos don't capture the horror of the place. Even the "easy" route up the klip did not look that easy to me...but I probably would have tried it if I hadn't been so f*cking tired from spending more time in the sand than David Hasselhof...just trying to get to the base of the rock.

I unfortunately did not take many photos as I was too busy trying to keep up with the others and would have had to stop to get my camera out of my Camelbak every time...I need a tank bag!

Here is what I have

Koos se Klim

IMG_8222.JPG

Having a Zamalek before heading back home

IMG_8218.JPG

Some help washing the bikes after

IMG_8237.JPG

The locals call the rock Ga Tsogwe, that little town is known as Waterval.
Place of Rain.
It used to be a traditional place to go pray for rain.

My one friend that studied with me on university is Stephan Zietsman, Koos Zietsman's son. Both of them has won the S.A. technical rock climbing championship (or whatever you call it) on different occasions. interesting enough is that Stephen is one of the worst drivers on the road that I know. They also went to Moegatle at least twice a month for practice sessions. I see on his advertisement that he says the car was worked/serviced in Centurion, as far as I know he did most of the work himself (don't know if it's a good thing, but he is a mechanical engineer)

Guys,

Sorry for the belated post but I have been overseas this week. Thanks for a great ride. It was an excellent route and most enjoyable (especially the first part of the canals with the jumps).

The sand riding was an experience as my rear indicators will testify. Luckily came through relatively unscathed except for a lost rear mudguard. (Funacide - will make arrangments to get that back from you soon with payment  ;))

All the pictures I had seen of the rock in no way give you a true sense of how steep it is. The guys that did Koos se Klim on DS bikes are mental. If I hadn't seen the videos I would not believe it.

Nice cold beers at the Shebeen and a good laugh with the chief.

All in all a great day!

Latest posts