The Rock near Jericho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

On friday, while we were having a beer at the Dros, OX said that we should try do a quick ride on sunday out to the rock. Sink that thread once and for all.
I could not make the birthday run with JM so said we would look at going super early for a quick finish.

OX stays about 900m from me so we met at 6:00 and headed out to the dam.
We took the Schurweberg road from Erasmia, then tar to the Total at the Dam.
From there it was past De Wildt Police Station with OX overtaking and roosting some poor Quad rider on the first bit under the tunnels. :twisted:

We then did some dirt till we met the canals, jumped onto the tar for a short bit and turned left into Landrover Undercarriage lane.

Right at the Jericho turn and all the way to the start of the river.
We decided to take the scenic route in the end, riding to just do the rock would mean a lot of slab riding and we are dirt bikers!

Hitting the river we flew down till the turn off to the side river.

The sand on this part is soft but the river is wide and you reach crazy speeds flying across the top of it.

Andre flying down the dry riverbed on the 640 Adv.

Ox_sand_1.jpg

Shades of Dakar!
OX_sand.jpg

Hauling ass !
Ox_sand_2.jpg

Having a jol in the side riverbed.
Ox_riverbed.jpg

With the bikes in the smaller riverbed.
Ox_bikes_riverbed.jpg

We then followed the riverbed till it joined the 4x4 trails. Hopping out as soon as we got to the village , not going the extra 5km on the track. Here OX realised his one protector cover was missing, so he flew back to the join in the river and back again, could not find it.
Ox_4x4.jpg

At the village we went and chatted to the chief, he said all was well.

At the base of the rock , I asked if he was keen to do it, he said yeah. Right now? Yeah.

And...

Then OX rode down , turned around and then rode up another time for the camera, and down again.

I then said, ok, then I guess I should do it now. Only if you are comfortable and sure. No problem.

We were talking about doing it in 2nd and then hooking 1st when the power dies, or maybe 1st all the way.
1st would not give enough speed to get up the first bit and you really have to hit this thing at pace to have a chance, so 2nd it is.
I nearly lost it when I kicked 1st a little late, relying on torque is good but not on such a steep rock.My 2nd does not pull enough.
I hit 1st just in time and slowly made the last bit past the lip.
I really had to hit it at pace, the KLR does not have the suspension of the KTM 640.

So...

But its done!
DSC04734.jpg

I chose to ride down the other way ;)

With that out the way, we went to the shabeen and had a cold one to celebrate!
DSC04736.jpg

One of the locals showed us how to get the most out of a papsak, joining in our celebration.
DSC04737.jpg

And the headman had a chat to us, next project in the village is to get a cricket pitch going.
DSC04738.jpg

We then hit the canals all the way back to De Wildt, riding at a good pace 2 abreast.
A beer and boerie roll at the police station and we carried on home, schurweberg road, then some sand roads through Mnandi to Midrand.

Its all in the mind, if you can ride you can ride up this rock.
Thanks a lot Andre for a truely memorable ride, the whole mix of riding on some of my favorite routes.