To Hell and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alienhost

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
So i managed to get a short break and flew in from Hong Kong with a friend(who has never seen a dirt road let alone ridden one  ;D) and managed to whip up a quick tour.
Day 1 Big Bay to Bredasdorp
Day2 Sedgefield
Day 3 Plettenberg Bay
Day 4 Jeffrey's Bay
Day 5 Makkedaat Caves
Day 6 Die Hel
Day 7 Big Bay
Bikes were my CTX200 which was ridden down from Durban back in 2014 and my KLR650, family were in a Disco 2 and luggage in the trailer.

Water was lovely at Cape Aghulas

Had to take my tourist here.

Malgas Pontoon crossing

Lovely quiet dirt roads, so different to Hong Kong  :laughing4:

We stayed at Afro-vibe which is a great little no frills place with a restaurant/bar just downstairs

Right by the beach, great pizzasz too
Day 1 and Day 2 Took us 9h15m plus the 4h45m for stops for 654km, so yes it was a relaxed pace.
More to follow.

Looks lekker, looking forward to the rest...  :thumleft:

lekker Mulder  :thumleft:

share some more

we did Hel & Baviaans over this past weekend  :thumleft:

What beautiful weather

Stopped in at BF Motorcycles in Knysna, they over-nighted a smaller sprocket from Cape Town for me, dropped from a 43 to a 40, new chain and front sprocket too !

Refueled in town then stopped for a snack before riding into Baviaans

Arrived

Water levels were low, but having a look at how rough the road was going down into the valley we were probably lucky it was dry for our first attempt.

We stayed at Makkedaat Caves which was nice as it was different, cave was obviously quite cool but the wood stove was great in heating it up.

great photo,s truly an awesome area to ride

The sign we had been waiting for

The CTX taking things slowly  ;D

What a lovely road

This tyre is showing the signs of too much highway riding

Second time iv'e stayed here, very nice and peaceful

Nice RR so far .We did the HELL last Son day on two 1200 BMW . Great experience but never again. Perhaps in an Avis ..Enjoy the rest of the trip and salute

Well done.... a lovely spot to visit. I thoroughly enjoyed our ride down to Die Hel...made for some beautiful riding.

Nice jaunt, I am envious.  Be thankful you were on a baaik. End Sept / early Oct, myself a few friends with mountain bikes dropped in to Die Hel via Die Leer then pedalled out the next day. It is a stywe uphill; this my bum and legs now know (2 000m of climbing in about 45km).  Nice spin down the Swartberg Pass though.

husky said:
Nice jaunt, I am envious.  Be thankful you were on a baaik. End Sept / early Oct, myself a few friends with mountain bikes dropped in to Die Hel via Die Leer then pedalled out the next day. It is a stywe uphill; this my bum and legs now know (2 000m of climbing in about 45km).  Nice spin down the Swartberg Pass though.
I have plans on doing Baviaans, Swartberg and Die Hel on my mountain bike, just need an able bodied companion, LOL.

Always a winner of a route that with lovely scenery, never disappoints. Nice going  :thumleft:

We were about a day behind you, working on my Ride report