To the North, to the North.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieterj

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Inspired by some of the other reports, HHHusky and I decided to follow a route north, defined by the Voortrekkers long ago - Kyk Noord, ... etc. Decided all daylight possible before midday had to be used, so an early meet at the Engen c/o Hans Strydom and Lynnwood.
:D
North200507003.jpg

After a fast "get-out-of-town-quick" tar section, the real fun begins.
North200507004.jpg

The are probably few better ways in which to enjoy a sunrise...
8)
North200507006.jpg

...and not forgetting to chat with the locals...
North200507007.jpg

....but she turned out to be a bit of a cow.

Moving on, we decided to swap bikes for a while. Here's HHHusky looking suspiciously comfortable on the sofa :shock:
North200507008.jpg

A bit of discussion, and we agreed that we would follow this road, and if it was too good then we'd find another route - A comment that only really makes sense on a forum like this. :lol:

A bit later, during a sandy section, it was an opportune time for a smoke break...
North200507009.jpg

Here's a true Husky - a big dog with a big tail....
8)
North200507011.jpg

Another smoke break, this time with the sofa adamant that it can stand on its own two f.., well wheels
North200507012s.jpg

By the way, neither HHHusky or I smoke.

And then this is where DieterJ realized for the umpteenth time that :evil: SAND SUCKS :evil:
North200507015.jpg

and sand still sucks...
North200507016.jpg

And I guess it's technique, and I did do Jan Staal's course, and I managed the sand monster about 5 times before taking a dive, but IMHO Sand Sucks!!! :evil:

The track then got better, and apart from some well hidden holes that made me realize that shock adjustment wasn't just a gimmick, we made good time to, well....North.
North200507018.jpg

A quick stop to discard the inevitable winter morning clothing layers, and a quick GPS check...
North200507019.jpg

..and we were on the way again. Got to Bela-bela and stopped at the Wimpy for a good ol' coffee and breakfast. Two other groups of riders arrived there, and couldn't help wondering whether they frequent this forum.

After a good breakfast, and having much debate about the route, and what we can still fit in before being home at lunch-time, we got on the bikes and made ready. Here the ride took an unexpected turn:

The Sofa's back wheel - flat. Found the source of the problem and did the reaming and all that tubeless tyre stuff. Then discovered that the tube of rubber vulcanizing stuff (Goop), was on the wrong side of tacky, and not useable. I went off to debate with some garage people, and HHHusky managed to tackle the other biking groups as they left (many Beemers about). One very kind fellow gave me his brand new tube of goop without delay, and said to keep it - ain't these biker guys great! :thumbright:

To cut a long story short - fixed the puncture (and by the way those BMW supplied keyhole rubber thingies are apparently better but I'll never know because I broke 2 of them trying to fix the puncture, before reverting to the run-of-the-mill pre-gooped one). Then got more goop at the local shop "just in case"
North200507020.jpg

Then went back on the old (read non-toll) road and took a left just before the Carousel. Hit a bit of a snag.......

"Well hey Billy-Bob. Ya think them po-lice are tryin' ta tell us somethin'?"
North200507021.jpg

"nah...."
North200507024.jpg

As it turned out, around the very next bend was a solidly locked set of BIG gates with signs about being private SANDF property. I guess they told us after all.

Then we headed through Hammanskraal, left ovet N1, and set a course for home via the Boekenhoutkloof road...
North200507025.jpg

Then after a short shortcut/detour/whatever, including a smoke break (and sand still sucks), we ended back in the viscinity of home around 12h45. Distance travelled according to odometer - 303km.

A great Sunday morning ride!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sand ...... sucks fa sure! Nice ride Dieter, thought you'd have the sand taped after the course?

Wow, doesn?t my new long-range fuel tank look so BLING! Just shows you that sometimes it?s worth spending that extra bit of money? Pity the puncture robbed us of some more sand monster riding, but next time! Asked the kids whether you can come practice in their sand pit, but they said no ? probably a good idea as I don?t want my little angels picking op some of you sand-riding vocabulary. Looking at these two bikes lined up next to each other it sort of makes me think of Asterix and Obelix, although when I got home and took of my jacket to give dear wifey a hug she made some unfathomable comment about Unhygienix?

Stephan said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sand ...... sucks fa sure! Nice ride Dieter, thought you'd have the sand taped after the course?

Is there a way to have sand taped? :scratch:

dieterj said:
Stephan said:

Is there a way to have sand taped? :scratch:

Get a bike with a 21"front wheel. I have tried the Grand Sofa in soft sand and that 19" front wheel the bike just has a mind of its own - not fun.

Great report! That sand sure looks mean!

Stupid question, did you drop the tyre pressures on da pig?

Cool report Dieter, methinks Memel will be a breeze for you, not much sand. :D (that I know of :lol: :lol: )

Good going!

That two track sand looks hectic but any sand riding time is no time wasted. :p

Another notch in the experience graph.

Kudu's for the rider giving selfless assistance. :thumbright:

hehe

What's the correct spelling? And where did the term originate from? :oops:

Kudos (IPA pronunciation: ['kju:dɒs]['ku:dɒs]), from the Greek κύδος kydos (literally "that which is heard of") means fame and renown resulting from an act or achievement; by extension is often used as a praising remark.

shark_za said:
Kudos (IPA pronunciation: ['kju:dɒs]['ku:dɒs]), from the Greek κύδος kydos (literally "that which is heard of") means fame and renown resulting from an act or achievement; by extension is often used as a praising remark.

You aways learn cool stuff on this website. :D

Kudos!

shark_za said:

Thanks for the g(r)eek lesson Shark - now I?m better educated, but must admit I liked it more when I was ignorant and due some Kudu biltong :evil:

Jaaaaa DieterJ

...dat sand !!!!!

Nice one - look at the positive side, the sand could not actually get worse, could it ???

I'm thinking that engen garage should also start offering free coffee - we support it enough