Two-day trip 2009/06/27-28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennielowe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Two-day trip 2009/06/27-28

I started in Robertson and rode the R62 to Barrydale on to Ladysmith taking the turn to seweweekspoort to Laingsburg turning towards the Gamkapoort dam on the back road to Prins Albert. The dam was in flood and I had a hell of a time getting over the river to the other side, got very wet. And then there were the gates, probably 50 to get to Prins albert.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

this was the crossing i was staring in the face and by god i had to do it or die, no turning back, move forward or stare another 100 km extra in the face. i did it and in the midst of my crossing i stalled and the water splashed over my tank, i was freekeeked. i started the bike and nailed it to the other side! thank the gods i made it because i was alone and no back up vehicle, i was stuffed if i did not cross.
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Getting my feet warm at the fire
IMG_0265.jpg

Day 2

Was a early start from the hotel to Swartberg pas, it was closed but what the hell. I did not come all the way for nothing. Anton and his better half rode with me over the pass and it was fun, I can describe it as an ice rink at the top and very cold.
IMG_4994.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg

SOME WATER
IMG_4999.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg

Even the droewaterval had some water
IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

After the pass we rode the back rd to Calitzdorp and then we took the Rooiberg pass to the r62 and back home. What a ride down and dirty.
IMG_5035.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

Excellent!

I did not know you could cross underneath the dam wall of the Gamkaspoort dam?
Is this a legal / recognised crossing?

Bergie said:
Excellent!

I did not know you could cross underneath the dam wall of the Gamkaspoort dam?
Is this a legal / recognised crossing?

jes it is but prepair yourself for all the gates!!! the road over the river i was very lucky not to loose the bike there!!

thanks for the comments guys it was lekka!

Lekker HP! What luck to go over Swartberg with the snow. Would have loved to join but spent the weekend in Cape Town. :-\

Baie goeie vraag Stofdonkie. Ek dink Floriskraal want ek dink jy kan tot onder die wal ry by die Gamkapoort. Ek dink ook nie Fox sal mens toelaat.

Jusso, looks like one very nice thrip you guys had. Pity about all the gates, if it was me I'd have turned around.

Just the snow on your GSA's beak doesn't look very authentic to me tho... ;D

Nice RR! :thumleft: