Upington Wild Bull 1000km Run

• Thread starter David van Breda
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

David van Breda

Thursday morning broke grey with the promise of more rain over the Auas mountains.  It was not the promise of rain that sparked me out of bed however but rather my impending trip down to Upington around noon.  I have committed to the Upington Wild Bulls 1000km run on Saturday.  The plan was to hitch my Adventure on a trailer behind my car and shoot down to the lodge on the river bank to arrive in time for sundowners with Carel and some other riders.

Sadly it did not go like that and I only left town after 3o'clock after a stint in the local goal and a stiff N$2000 bail payment!  Yeah, I kid you not.  Namibian Police frown upon photocopies of a trailer licence so I learnt!!  I did not do it was not good enough this Wednesday and my next court appearance is in April! 

I arrived at midnite after I ditched my plans to rent another trailer and opted for a Hilux from the office instead.

Friday was a (heat) blast in Upington with all the mates arriving and checking kit and rides for the last time.  If it sounds like a Dakar preparation instead of a straightforward 1000km run on tar, it should!  Some of the participants have barely done 1000km total on bikes but the spirits were indomitable!  Ronel, Louis and Hennie Hond (Springbok vet) arrived with Ronel's new 650 on a trailer behind the back Cruiser.  Hennie rode up from Springbok on his 1977 BMW R100RT!  Ronel was nervous and one of only two girls participating in the run.  A lekker braai settled the nerves and we ducked early because departure was set for around 4:30 5o'clock on Saturday morning.

1.jpg

The bikes

2.jpg

Pre-dawn departure

3.jpg

Carel with the two girls!

The route took us from Upington to Springbok, then down to Vanrhynsdorp, Calvinia and eventually Kenhardt where we saturated the towns' accommodation!  Proceeds from the entry fees went to the Kenhardt old age centre.  About 40 bikes joined of which probably half was fast going models.  Fast like in 194km/h average for the Kawasaki who arrived first on the other side!

IMG_0050.jpg

Sunrise 

4-1.jpg

Barbara's GS gave up the ghost close to Poffadder when the electronics failed!  She was devastated!

5.jpg

Hennie Hond giving me the eye

Hennie's bike made it a few kms further before it suffered a clutch failure.  I know Hennie is good with dogs, but I believe his maintenance on mechanical equipment might be suspect!  He made it on the back of Louis trailer to Springbok where he performed at leisure an Caesarean on one of the local pedigree Fox terriers that afternoon.

6.jpg

Ronel flying

7.jpg

Jannie with his brand spanking new GS stretching legs before Vanrhynsdorp.

Smoke.jpg

Smoke break before rolling into Vanrhynsdorp.

10.jpg

Top of Vanrhynspass after a lekker jol coming up the mountian.

11.jpg

Hantam Hotel in Calvinia served whatever your heart desired! 

12.jpg

Barbara trying mine out for size in Brandvlei! :mwink:

13.jpg

We arrived very eventually as well.  The last stretch was very hot with temps in the early 40's!

15.jpg

Final stop for the day . . . Kenhardt Hotel

16.jpg

There were many a GS on the run.  I think Itsvan, the BMW dealer in Upington, does a good job in rounding the market up. 

14.jpg

Carel begining the rehydrating process

17.jpg

Ronel was the quickest (and only) girl for the day.  She started riding about 6months ago.  I heard she sleeps on her bike at nite!!
:laughing4:  Totally hooked.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Some familiar faces in the bar!

IMG_0152.jpg

Sweet sounding GS pimpmobile!

IMG_0130.jpg

The place to be in Kenhardt that nite

21.jpg

The coolest part of town

And nobody new anything about this. Hope they do it in winter next year and do some advertizing.C.

David great stuff, I joined after our chat 2 weeks ago  :thumleft:
Someday we will have a rondezvous.
Photie of my new sweet sounding Katoom
ktm_994.jpg

Latest posts