van Reenen, Railway Road & Geluksburg Loop 20090207

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
This weekend was not supposed to be about riding bikes, but about swimming the Midmar Mile., but there is nothing wrong with planning a multi-purpose weekend is there?

In my collection of tracks and roads ridden there has always been a glaring hole in the area South of the N3 in the Geluksburg area, and I wondered if I could not use part of the weekend to ride a few roads in the area.

So the plan was to hitch the bike on trailer, sleep two nights  in Swinburne to spend the Saturday riding a few bits, go down to Howick on Sunday and swim across that stupid dam again, and then go home.

But plans change.

The Cave Girl had told me that she was also swimming the mile, and was going to go down on gravel roads via Memel, so imagine my surprise when ahead of me on the N3 near Villiers I see the unmistakable rear view of Delilah the TransAlp, fitted with humungous top-box and panniers. I find out that she is horribly lost with GPS problems, and has decided to abort the Memel leg and head down the N3. I suggest she overnight in Swinburne, and then I would show her the old railway road from van Reenen to Besters, split with her in Ladysmith, and then I could head back to Swinburne via Geluksburg.

So we do, but I was not quite prepared for the state of the railway road. There had obviously been heavy rains in the are and the river monster, the mud monster and even Sarel Seemonster were lurking in the road for us, but more of that later.

Stared in van Reenen and let my artsy side loose with these flowers.     

Swinburne20090207002.jpg

First sign of water – much more was to come.

In some places the road was like a river with a long island down the middle, but strange; water moving rapidly over rocky ballast has plenty o grip, it’s the muddy bits with stationery water where the mud monster lurked.

Swinburne20090207003.jpg

The mist at the top of the pass was amazing, with the sun trying to peep through.

Swinburne20090207004.jpg

Swinburne20090207006.jpg

Delilah and the Cave Girl hiding in the long grass.

Swinburne20090207007.jpg

The much-photographed old tunnel.

Swinburne20090207008.jpg

Swinburne20090207009.jpg

The mud monster strikes – strike two.

I follow the wilddog routine.

1. Make sure the rider is okay.
2. If so, laugh and snap a pic.
3. Help lift the bike.

Swinburne20090207010.jpg

The bottom was much drier, with no sign of the udmonster.

This is Li’s corner. On the Newcastle weekend last year she lost it at this curve – the KLR went flying offv horizontally, but Li managed to end up standing in the road with nary a speck of dirt on her.

Swinburne20090207011.jpg

Lovely roads to crank it open a bit.

Swinburne20090207012.jpg

Swinburne20090207013.jpg

Swinburne20090207014.jpg

From there it was into Ladysmith for a late brekkie at a place called Chatters in “The Oval” – nice spot and they did not mind our bedraggled an muddy appearance a bit.

On the way out of Ladysmith we were stopped at a stop/go roadwork section, and took the opportunity to scrape mud out of our mudgards – Delilah’s contribution to the roadworks.

Swinburne20090207016.jpg

I said goodbye to CG at the N3 an headed off on the Bergville road, and then onto some lovely fast gravel bits on the way to Geluksburg.

Swinburne20090207017.jpg

Swinburne20090207018.jpg

“Hello Geluksburg – Glad to know you.”

Swinburne20090207019.jpg

From there onto a bit of nice tar up the Middledale Pass,

Swinburne20090207023.jpg

Swinburne20090207024.jpg

Swinburne20090207025.jpg

This oke insised on having his pic taken.

A bit sad, but I suspect he, and the lady friend behind, both had a nasty virus common in the area. She was extremely thin, and they both had awful sores on their faces and necks. When she got up to walk a few meters she exhausted herself and had to sit down .

Swinburne20090207027.jpg

Err, did I say tar roads? In some places the road was 10% tar and 90% pot holes.

Swinburne20090207028.jpg

Swinburne20090207029.jpg

Was nice to get back onto gravel. The side view of Rensburg’s kop.

Swinburne20090207030.jpg

It was registration day. These stations were all over the place in the most remote locations.

Swinburne20090207031.jpg

Nice area – well worth a ride.

Nice one Gunda,  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

But you missed the best part of that whole area, and you rode straight past it....  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PM sent.

This morning - looking towards Ladysmith on van Reenen's Pass.

Swinburne20090207032.jpg

Love the sunflowers. Vincent van Gogh would have loved this.

Swinburne20090207036.jpg

KnopKop said:
Nice one Gunda,  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

But you missed the best part of that whole area, and you rode straight past it....  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PM sent.

Yes. But I have plans.

Met this guy and his missus in Ladysmith.

Swinburne20090207037.jpg

Has a place in Geluksburg and organises trips into the lost valley for bikes - apparently you need permission to visit tyhe lost valley.

https://www.ginas.co.za/

Worth looking into.

So many roads and places - so little time !

That road from Van Reenen to Geluksburg is one of my favourites
Just a pity the tat is so badlt potholed - it would probably have been better with no tar

Plothond said:
That road from Van Reenen to Geluksburg is one of my favourites
Just a pity the tat is so badlt potholed - it would probably have been better with no tar

Yes, they should just let a scraper srape off the tar from the potholed bits and gravellify it - would ben much better.

And it is now on my list of favourite roads too.

Wonder if I can build it into the Newcastle tracks for May 1 trip?  - mmmm - let's see.

Nice ride Gunda!!

Some sections of that railway road with the red clay soil becomes extremely slippery after rains. I think you guys did very well with only one spill for CG  :thumleft:

Kawasefi said:
Nice ride Gunda!!

Some sections of that railway road with the red clay soil becomes extremely slippery after rains. I think you guys did very well with only one spill for CG  :thumleft:

Took me by surprise. Delilah the TA took two rests - neither going fast though.

Panniers supplied by Adventurer were undamaged - respect.

I found it quite easy to walk her TA through the mud with a back knobbly but she is just a little too short to "shongololo" the bike through.

Fould a working arrangement to get through bad bits. I'd walk the TA through, carving a track with her back knobbly throgh the mud. I'd then walk my KLE (Siracs) through the slot. Worked well. Did about 100m of walking though - my old legs got quite wobbly.

I have ridden that road twice before, and both times it was easy. Never knew the mudmonster lurked there after rains.

Nice nice GG  :thumleft: - and how did the swim go??

Gee ja shame Cave Girl mms me a pic of the mud monster Sat - but glad both bike and rider (and panniers)  :biggrin: were unscathed!

Misty said:
Nice nice GG  :thumleft: - and how did the swim go??

Swim was good thanks - 29:41 - my 22nd Midmar Mile.
31st of 115 in the 51-60 category
- but at 56 I'm getting a bit old for that group !
Light wind was from behind left shoulder - Ideal for a right-breather, and fell in behind two guys I know who are big and fast and they cut an icebreaker-channel through the rabbit-laaities for me - clear water all the way.

All in all a great weekend on the roads, and in the water, and in the water on the roads. 

Ok well done that's a great time!! And sneaky plan falling in between two big guys :biggrin:

hehe - 'n watery weekend :)