Vstrom Cam Chains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Ducati Hypermotard
Anyone who read my moaning about the warranty on my VStrom please pay attention:

I complained about a noise in the motor that the dealer screwed me around about, He said it was a bearing, I said cam chains.

Anyway yesterday I stripped the motor myself, and I wouls like to share this with you.

Bothe cam chain tensioners were extended to their max, the noise started as a "tick" in the front cylinder and went on to become what sounded like a "knock"

The rear cylinder cam chain was stretched to it's max, and clearly the tensioner could not make up the slack anymore. But the front chain was not only stretched, the pins in the chain were so worn that the chain could no longer flex and took on the shape of an "S" when I removed it, this chain was completely shagged out to the point it looked like it was about to snap.

I replaced both chains, with the motor in, using DID 144 silent cam chains (R370-00 a pop) plus a days labour at home. My bikes engine no sings like a sewing machine, and makes no abnormal noises at all. For the VStrom owners out there, watch out for this, for the sake of R750-00 parts, don't wreck the engine.

Another tip, remove the secondary butterfly valves from the injector bodies, the difference in torque is fantastic.

Pom