What travel guide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which travel guide books do you prefer?

• Total voters

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Do you use travel guides to plan a trip or do you simply wing it as you go?
I have a small collection of travel guides and maps of the countries I plan or have visited.

My favourite is the Rough Guide series. They have very reliable info and a good sample of things to see, places to eat/sleep as well as concise info on legalities and finances regarding each country.

Unfortunately no single publisher has a guidebook containing all the info you could possibly need. Which, I suppose is a good thing. It leaves something to discover for yourself.

Lonely Planet seems to be marketed exclusively towards backpackers. They produce good guides but I sometimes find their info to be incorrect or misleading.

Eyewitness guides have nice colourful pics but the practical info is sometimes lacking.

I'm not too familiar with the other guides in the poll but I have seen them on the shelves.

Can you add any info on these books or ones I have not mentioned? Any recommendations? Any reason why we should not read guide books?