When Road Rash or Burns Call.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lito

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Hi Guys, something I learnt when I headbutted the tar with my cheekbone recently, and attendant shoulders, wrists and knuckles.

There is a brilliant item available from pharmacies called Tegaderm or Opsite. Both of these are available in different sizes, get the ones without the pad on them, they must be just the "plastic" sheet.

Remove and put on your open wounds. Clean them out first, and apply your TPC or Dettol cleanser on them et al. Dab off the wound and then place the piece of Tega or Opsite over them. Allow a bit of area around the wound, a couple of centremetres.- ps: consider shaving arm or leg hair around the wound to allow the dressing to get a nice tight seal.

This is called a "Wet Dressing" and what happens is that the body will now start to heal itself with proteins etc. It looks gross as hell under the clear dressing, often turning black, brown or puke yellow. It will form a bubble. DO NOT REMOVE OR CLEAN. If it leaks, replace the dressing quickly without removing the yellow stuff that is there already.

The dressing can stay on until it falls off under a normal shower cleaning. They are water proof which is another bonus. The whole goal is to produce an almost scar free fix to your wound site, and while looks gross, really really really works.

R13.50 for a nice sized piece.

8)