xr500 misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRENZYLION

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
I am looking for someone in Cape Town to troubleshoot my 1981 XR500.
The bike used to run perfectly and the engine was sweet, then I left it standing in my garage for about 2 years before doing a small rebuild to sort out small oil leak on the clutch and tappet adjust covers. I pulled off both sides of the motor to respray and put new gaskets. While the covers were off I moved the cam chain tensioner one tooth to take up the slack in the camchain. Is it possible that this could have upset the valve timing because on re-assembly (I did strip and really give the carb a good clean) I was unable to kick start the bike. Stupidly I tried this in a pair of stokies.(Huge blue instep). Eventually I towed the bike and managed to get it running, but really awful backfiring through the carb and exhaust would not even come close to an idle. I am really frustrated and would happily pay someone to find and sort the problem. I can take the bike to someone in Cape Town that  would be able to do this for me.