XT600e carb cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulforge

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
Hi guys,

For someone who is not that mechanically minded (but I'm here asking to learn) - how much trouble am I getting myself into wanting to give my carb a clean?

Reason for wanting to clean it is on friday my XT starting doing very seldom very random "stutters", literally like a half second stutter then carries on. Best example is this morning from Durbanville to Sea point, was riding fine till I got the the N1 by Karl Bremer, gave a single stutter there, then fine again till I hit sea point where it stuttered a couple times before I eventually pulled into the parking lot.
It was suggested to check/replace the spark plug in case which I did today (the plug was in good condition still (good news for my paranoid mind jumping to engine issues). I had one stutter on the way back, next suggestion is to check if the carb is dirty. So as my above question - is it easy to clean the carb or should I rather just take it to someone? If I do it what carb cleaner do I get and are there any places open after 5 I could get some?

thanks!