1200GS Gearbox / FD Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
My 1200GS 2006 developed a roughness which I first detected a few weeks ago - could feel through my foot pegs.  Progressively got worse - now a rhythmic roughness / knock (play of some kind).  Only detectable if I feather the throttle - any gear (can’t detect it if - accelerating or decelerating against the engine). 

At the same time, my gear and neutral indicator on the dash played up.  https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=46094.0. No idea if they are related in any way.

What I have checked:

1. FD bearing – no obvious lateral play on the rear wheel. Bike on the main stand – from the side, push / pull the rear wheel.
2. Drained the FD oil and checked FD spline shaft for play – slight hint of lateral play (not measured – but guess 0.5 mm)
3. Pulled the shaft drive out – can’t detect any play or any stiffness in either universal. I did this by hand – not sure if there is a better way to check?

What else can I check before I need send it to one of the Dogs to look at? Or any experienced  / technically savvy Dogs on the West who could take her for a run around the block and give me an assessment before I have to spend money? 

Then which of the techie dogs would you recommend to look at this. (I know of Runner - 70 kms from me).

RGS TM...