1984 Honda XL 600R (long term) restoration project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
As mentioned in another thread, I recently bought a 1983 Honda XL 600R. I'm not 100% sure about the year model . If I'm not mistaken these models only came out from 1983.

Some history of the bike:

- The seller owned the bike from 1998
- He bought it in Malawi while he was working there and brought in back to South Africa in parts to get it across the border.
- He gave the bike a "makeover" twice in the 21 years that he owned the bike.
- He imported and fitted new mudguards, side covers and headlight cowl.
- Front wheel was also re-laced with stainless steel spokes when the engine was done.
- He fitted new bearings (wheel, neck, swingarm and linkage) when the engine was done
- Tyres, chain and sprockets are in a good condition
- He registered the bike in 2008, I think that this might be where the mix-up with the year model came. All paperwork is in order and licence is up to date.
- The engine was done by Tim from TMC in 2009 and according to the seller he only did about 1500km on the bike since then. Basically short runs to the shop, pub etc. He also have a KDX 200 and a Yamaha Tenere 660R that he rides.

Reason for selling (According to the seller) - He is getting to old for the bike (51 years young), he recently bought a house and space is a issue, he have two other bikes,he have a baby of about 18 months old and about 7 months ago he broke his right foot when he had a oopsie with his KDX 200 and he is now struggling to kick start the bike.

The bike starts very easy and the engine sounds good, it smoked a bit after startup which is hopefully from standing for a while. All the trimmings (exhaust heat shields, chain guard etc are there). It is only missing the front sprocket cover. The silencer was gutted and sounds a bit to load for my liking and probably won't pass roadworthy with that noisy silencer. My friend offered me his original exhaust from his 650L and hopefully it will fit.

The bike was standing outside for a while so things like the indicators, seat, grips and fork protectors took quite a beating. Luckily only cosmetic damage. There are light pit marks on the fork shafts, some surface rust on the spoke nipples and some rust on the frame at the neck of the bike. The tank is in a very good condition. It is fitted with a larger "safari" metal fuel tank which in my opinion suits the bike well.I found that the left indicators is not working, but my guess is that it is due to a corroded or faulty switch.The ref counter is not working, but all other electronics are working.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase sofar. I just hope that there is no hidden "gremlins" making their appearance.But a running and a complete bike is a good starting point for a restoration project.

I'm not going to put a time limit on this project and will only probably start "cleaning" the bike early in the new year. Between the seller and myself we have a agreement that the bike can stay on his name till I have all the little issues sorted out. I can see that he have quite a lot of sentimental value for this bike and he asked me to keep him updated with my progress and that I must pop in by him to show the bike when I'm done.

Below are a couple of "before" photos. I'll keep this thread updated as I progress, but remember... patience is of a virtue  :pot:

Attachments

• Before_1.jpeg
    Before_1.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 822
  • Before_2.jpeg
    Before_2.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 830
  • Before_3.jpeg
    Before_3.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 816
  • Before_4.jpeg
    Before_4.jpeg