BMW K100 Cafe Racer project - Built by an idiot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
For the longest time I’ve been obsessed with the cafe racer that people build from the K100. The prices have generally been more than I was willing to pay for a project that I want to start with my absolute zero mechanical knowledge. The biggest mechanical tasks I’ve undertaken on a motorcycle was to replace the brake and clutch levers on my GS myself. And also fitting of the odd parts I bought to make it more fall resistant.

Yesterday on my Instagram feed a K100 came up on a sponsored add from We Buy Cars. Clicked on it and the bike was selling for relatively cheap and I liked the price, paid the holding deposit and dreamt of my dream ride.
Today I went there and the bike starts and but the gearbox is not working lekker. Most of the switches are kak and the fuel cap has to be opened with a flat head screwdriver. But apart from not riding it and oil dripping from somewhere I paid the rest. I’ll go collect tomorrow with a trailer.

I’ll document my journey of learning and hopefully building here. I’ll probably have many questions so I apologize in advance.

Attached are some photos of the bike and of what I’m hoping to achieve.

IMG_9016.jpegIMG_9014.jpegIMG_9015.jpegIMG_0763.jpeg