2 (of 3) Idiots take on roof rallyeraid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gummi

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok ok ok, so it is not really the same as our previous trip , but it promises to be a blast.

(Our previous trip https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=98173.0)

As usual the idea came about over a couple of beers , we wanted to do Lesotho in any event, and then why not do it in a bit of "style" , where someone else will look after us for  a change.

the MO is still the same, take all our cheap kit along and have a jol of note.....old school

Unfortuantely one of the 3 idiots could not make it, so we called for re- enforcements - from our previous trip there were many volunteers

So we enlisted
Anton and Collin - nicknames to be determined

Weapons of choice:
Anton 990 KTM (2010 I think)
Collin 800 Triumph (2011/2012 I think)
Myself - still the same KTM 990 2008 - but having a new rear tyre fitted.
Liam - the 650 BMW 2003 or something like that

The planning will be much easier this time round, but there is no need to cancel the "planning sessions" so the first planning session will take place soon at a local pub ........ will keep you updated.............

As Clueless as usual, we have no idea what to expect, after a few nervous calls to Mike Glover he sent us the following communication

Hi Roof Raiders
It’s been a manic few weeks sorting out the Roof Raid but things are looking great and you guys are guaranteed to have a blast .

The Routes
We have built 3 days of epic Rallye raid 1,2 and 3 routes trying to meet up with the Roof of Africa routes as often as possible. It’s a decision that you guys can make each and every day as to whether you want to do more spectating or more riding . We have taken you into the base of Mad Cow, Top of Baboons , Seamus Slide and various other hotspots . The Roof Route is not very spectator friendly for those non riders so we should be guaranteed to see some good stuff
I am going to send all the routes down to you guys at end of week but will also download for you at Khotsong when you arrive on Wed 14th if you want .

Khotsong Lodge
We have a combination of twin sharing and camping at Khotsong . All meals ie Breakfast and Supper will be in the restaurant and we have Jonathan our Rallye Raid Musician together with some fine shooter gals providing entertainment in the bar. There is a swimming pool ( no speedos allowed !!!  ha ha).
The waypoint for Khotsong Lodge is  S29 23 40 E 27 37 27

The Border Posts
When entering Lesotho just write down Khotsong lodge and not Roof Raid as this will confuse them. If you are coming from the South I would use Van Rooyens gate which is just outside Wepener and all others  Maseru Bridge . It’s a good idea to travel with your Bike Reg papers and proof of ownership . They don’t ask but they can get full of s..t. Obviously don’t forget your PASSPORT
Please make sure you get it stamped .. If they try and wave you through ..insist on a stamp ..It will lead to pain and suffering when departing on Sunday .

Refuel
Before you get to Khotsong Lodge on Wed 14th , make sure you refuel and thereafter whenever you get the chance ..REFUEL.

Money and Credit cards
The Rand and Maluti have same value . If you withdraw from a ATM you will get Malutis so try and arrive with sufficient cash for Fuel and Booze. Garage Cards or Credit Cards are not accepted for Fuel in the majority of stations ..obviously in Maseru and bigger towns  you should be OK.

Registration at Khotsong
We will be opening the Roof Raid doors on Wed 14 Nov from  1pm till late . name badges , Shirts, Bike Stickers etc will be part of registration. It is important that you wear Name Badges at all times 

Mechanical and Tyres
Dave Griffin from RadMoto is offering mechanical support for  the event and will have tyre stock and tyre changing available as well  . I encourage you to email [email protected] to reserve tyres if you need . He has got a special with Mitas going.

GPS
The routes are only on GPS so either bring your own or we will find you a riding buddy . I have 90% of cables but please bring along just in case . More than happy to download when you arrive but for those GPS boffins … it will be easier to do when I send to you at end of week.

Camping
Each one will be allocated a tent with a mattress, so just bring your own bedding and you good to go! Our campers will each be assigned a room where they can shower.

Guys I think I have covered most of it but if you have any questions or queries , please feel free to ping me a mail or give me a buzz.
Thanks

What a friendly guy !

i have no idea what the email was about, but he had me at shooter girls!!

This seems awesome, we are still contemplating which tyres to fit as we are not sure which routes to ride

The one thing we are sure off is that there will be shooters...............and we all knwo too well what shooters lead to.....

We will also be getting ourselves into situation over our head, so I expect some pics of bikes on their side ..........

The build up to this trip is completely different to our other trip, there is no planning, limited preparation etc. My biggest concern is what liver meds to take ................. I am fitting my dampner on my 990 , just for the long haul there.....

If anyone has any suggestions for the route there please let us know, we will be leaving Preotoria that morning............

Is there anyone out there that can recommend a route to Lesotho ? Not tooooooo long ............ just enough to get us there within a day ..................

very simple.....

Take N3 toward Durban.
Take the Villiers Offramp and turn right toward Villiers.
Drive / Ride past Frankfort on the R26 toward Tweeling, Reitz,and eventually into Bethlehem.
Find your way through Bethlehem. Follow the main road thorugh, you will have to turn left to head out of town, if I remeber correctly you need to turn onto Church Street, but don't quopte me on that.

Look for the continuation of the R26 to Fouriesburg.
Once in Fouriesburg, actually just bypassing it, you can then chose to go onto the Border post at Caledonspoort, or continue to Ficksburg and go through the border at Ficksburg Bridge.

Or you can follow th R26 around the border fo Lesotho and enter at Maseru Bridge just past Ladybrand.

This distance form JHB to Ficksburg Bridge is approx 350Km so it take about you guys a day or so to find your way :peepwall:

Hope this helps

Hi all, my apologies for not updating this Ride report, due to an unforseen trip to the hospital by a loved one, I was not able to go to the rallyeraid at the roof, but I will make it up to you next year by doing something epic again ......................

Keep it on the back wheel...............

Sorry to hear about your kak.  :(

Maybe next time start your Ride report when you get back from the trip  :biggrin: