AT questions....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Greetings - newby here, but have been checking the site for some time - pretty entertaining.

Anyway, as the subject line suggests - questions for any Africa Twin owners out there.

I've owned an RD07 (not sure of the year, but probably 96) for about 7 months, and having been a rider for quite a few years (admittedly a "roady"), have "familiarised" myself with the bits 'n pieces (iow, have dismantled and re-assembled a couple of times - insatiable curiosity!). Two things that have me curous about this machine;

1) Air valves on the fork legs. Are these standard, or did the previous owner decide the forks need a pre-load adjustment? Years ago, two Kawasaki's that I owned (GPZ550 & GPZ600) both had similar, but I though newer suspension had done away with the need.

Chatted to a shop owner here in CT who is a little bit of an AT fan, and he recons they're aftermarket. Thing is, they look they actually belong there.

If they do, does anyone have any recommendations for pressure?

2) Under the saddle there is a rubber strap holding a metal "square" (for want of a better word) to the saddle. The object looks sort of like a hash sign (#), but more symmetrical. Any ideas?

It must have come out with this, as the saddle (still original) has a moulded indentation to house this, and the rubber strap is the same as that used to secure the toolkit in the bin. For the life of me cannot think of what use this square can have.

Anyway, any feedback much appreciated.

Cheers