Atlantis early monring ride , take 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevgh0

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So there i was, once again, up at like 5am, getting ready to ride @ 6. EtienneNXR was on his way to me  aswell as Michiel, But Michiel ran late. Pushing the bike outside I heard a couple of thumpers blaze past on the R27, I thought that it could only have been Black Thunder, Trues bob, it was.

We arrived at Melkbos total, meeting Sprocketbek, Pantsula and Blackthunder there, Etienne and myself pulled in and chilled while waiting for Michiel. He arived about 10 minutes later.

Off we went

Down towards Atlantis on the R27. I took the WestCoast SkyDiving dirtroad turn off and the pack followed. We then turned onto the railway track and cruised down to the white stuff.

I think its fair to say that most of the guys had a jol. Pantsula was ready to throw towl in, but we pulled his bike up to the top of the entrance at the dunes and he just cruised in... Glad to see you didnt back out.

About 830, michiel and the others head off back to Ct, Etienne and I decided to take the back road into the dunes from the tar. The NXR coped very well, im actually shocked to see that there were no major getting stuck issues.

we head back via the railway to parklands, riding along the track at about 80kph just taking it easy. We then turned up the bank and into the bush onto some sand whoops that were actually really fun.. for once.. I kept the bike in 3 at WOT and then the unthinkable happend.. well i dind think of it.. about 500m before parklands on some nasty hoops i got the bike horizontal and moered into the ground.. As i went down i heard my knee go .. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BITCH - I thought Oh fekking poo..... Luckily I could bend it and stand on it.. So the thought of it being broken is ruled out. however, there is some pain on the joint. Im sure ive sprained it. THe bike now pegged into the bush just lying there smiling at me wants to be ridden again, however.. i rode home with my tail between my legs. looks like ill be doing some rehabilitation with my knee now.. not sure how long ill be out, but it might be a while... Lets see if the Voltaren Inj speeds things up.

Etienne, thanx vir die saam ry.. ek het gedink jy gaan meer sukkel.. maar soos altyd... Jy het my verbaas!

Got up at 5am this morning, met stevO at his house. Rode to the garage where we met:
Sprocketbek, Pantsula, Michell and Black thunder.

Pushed on with the tarr road, then reached a gravel section and the fun began. Lekker wet railways all the way to Atlantis. We payed and whent in.

It was my 1st time doing a dune ride, and IT WAS GREAT FUN! :thumleft: . We went to  part where it was quite and played around there for a long time.

Headed out the same way we came in, Pantsula had a mild off,(he will tell you'l)
The guys parted there ways and it was just me and stevO left.

On route to the quarry we decided we wanted to ride more sand, so back to atlantis! this time via the secret rough way. It wasnt as bad as someone said its gonna be.

So me and stevO whent back riding up every possible dune and just having fun.

Took the railway back,and then came the tirering but very fun part. He had a sort of track running through... er i dont know where the hell we were.
We went up the side of the railway over the top and into this enduro loop, like a thousand sand whoops!

I came around a corner and saw stevO lying in a bush. One of the whoops threw him off, and he had a huge fall(hope the leg gets better!)

On my way home I stopped at AndyXT660R's home and left with a (almost) brand new rear tyre. Thanks llot man :thumleft: :thumleft:

Well im freakin tired,especially from that last bit me and stevO did.

Not allot of pics from my side

Bikes
DSCF4941Medium.jpg

Funduro
DSCF4942Medium.jpg

StevO on the way back
DSCF4943Medium.jpg

DSCF4945Medium.jpg

DSCF4946Medium.jpg

DSCF4947Medium.jpg

My new tyre!
DSCF4948Medium.jpg

Nuwe tire.. Lucky man! watse tire is dit?

Attachments

• P1120179.jpg
    P1120179.jpg
    125.5 KB
  • P1120182.jpg
    P1120182.jpg
    97.2 KB
Nice ride again. Glad to see the weather down there seems to be playing along. Up here it's rainy season and living up to its name. Post some more pics!

'n Maxxis 6006, Andy het die swingarm ens. gemeet en hy sal pas. Moet nou net 'n manier kry, om die tyre op die rim te kry?

Thanks again for an awesome ride...

I nearly turned around when my bike got stuck right by the entrance (not enough speed) luckily StevO got my bike up and convinced me to stay and how glad I am that I did, thx StevO  :thumleft:

Once in, I really got my groove on and enjoyed the sand immensely however I nearly came off when I was surprised by a steep drop.. I just kept telling myself `KEEP it straight!` I did but I nearly saw my `gat`  :imaposer:

On the way out the entrance was once again my achilles heal! With the the rest of the crew and a few quad bike riders looking on I came over the the hill and had a grand splash in the sand  ;D  ;D Nothing serious however my boot got stuck under my bike and the warm pipe burned a hole right through my Shift boot (left boot). It just confirmed again that riding with the correct gear is essential.

I say it again, awesome awesome  :ricky:

PS. I agree with StevO, Etienne you really surprise me every time I ride with you... Well done mate  ;)

Attachments

• dscf2530-1.jpg
    dscf2530-1.jpg
    87.4 KB
  • dscf2545-1.jpg
    dscf2545-1.jpg
    104.2 KB
  • dscf2533-1.jpg
    dscf2533-1.jpg
    88 KB
  • dscf2532-1.jpg
    dscf2532-1.jpg
    84.7 KB
Hell, I missed a lekker ride.  Great pics you guys.  Next time I hope I'll be able to join you.

EtienneNXR said:
'n Maxxis 6006, Andy het die swingarm ens. gemeet en hy sal pas. Moet nou net 'n manier kry, om die tyre op die rim te kry?

Etienne jy kan by enige bike shop laat op sit... gaan jou so R80 kos...

Ek weet BMW Atlantic Motorrad vra my R85 om 'n band op te sit en te balanseer...

EtienneNXR said:

Beste ding is om dit self te doen, dis goeie oefening vir die dag wanneer jy dit in die bos moet doen.

I hope you guys ride with puncture fixing kits, or don't you have any of the "Rusted Nail Trees" that we have here in Gauties that leave their fruit all over the show and slow some of the outrides down a lot?

Thanks for a lekka ride guys! Kamanya also joined us and it was clear he also had fun.

Just some initial pics now, will only get a chance to do the rest later.

Some pics were taken by others using my camera, thanks for that. (gives me playtime). Think pantsula took the one of Michiel doing some extreme cornering:

Attachments

• IMG_2783 B.jpg
    IMG_2783 B.jpg
    85.9 KB
  • IMG_2839 B.jpg
    IMG_2839 B.jpg
    127 KB
  • IMG_2943 B.jpg
    IMG_2943 B.jpg
    174.2 KB
LeonDude said:
I have to hand it to you guys, I can only wish to ride the soft stuff like that.

we will take you there on your next when you are on your SA trip

Sprocketbek said:
Some pics were taken by others using my camera, thanks for that. (gives me playtime). Think pantsula took the one of Michiel doing some extreme cornering:

extreme indeed :) can we ask if he made the corner  :)  ;D  ;D

Looking forward to see all the pictures....

I took many pictures with your camera :) he he

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCgaHffvXU

Huge over the front at the end of the video. Needed help to push it over it was buried so deep. Got caught not having my weight back going into a softer patch.

Was a great morning.

For you poor Non-Cape Town guys, see what you are missing down here.

It really is not very hard to ride on. There are not the usual sand monsters lurking here. The hardest parts are the most driven/ridden on parts right at the entrance. The first bit of video shows some of it that. But after this you can see, it is just great floating along.

Also you can see just how hard it is to judge the contrast - you can't see dead ground and thus can easily get really hurt by missing the drop offs.

I budget on falling lots in this place.

I was late in getting to the guys and only caught them on the West Coast road as they were leaving the Melkbos garage. I sped past them to get to the BP in Atlantis to fill up. I found Michiel back on the dunes but had to return to the BP as some of the falls that I had, opened up the patch on the fuel tank.  I drained the tank, turned it off, filled the left one and headed back to find the gang.

This video is from then on.

Jeesh A, that sandtrap really caught you. Had one myself the other day,no fun. Ive hit I fe at speed where it doesnt stop me completely. Bike climbs on the front like a stoppie.