Atlantis early monring ride , take 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kamanya, cool video! Now I also want one of those helmet cams. It shows beautifully the riders perspective and brings across the fun of riding the sand.

Right at the end I led you right into the lion's mouth resulting in your big nose-dive. I must be very lucky to have come off unscaved every time I hit those very soft thick sections. Or is it the KLR? :ricky:

Kamanya said:
I wasn't winded just tensing for the fall. Sure do a lot of grunting picking up the big pig though. Falling here is almost always a great experience and does not hurt the bike or rider.

Ok,  brought back memories since my last fall what goes through a person mind and actions that get taken. You know you going down and theres nothing you can do. So the next step is to tension up for the fall.  :imaposer:

Oh yeah! I'm coming with next time.. I was worried my bike would just be too heavy but I see some big bikes there.. I have been quading there before but this looks like a lot more fun !!

Muzzo

i'd love to come with sometime. the idea of riding dunes actually scares the living crap outta me, but i guess i need to get over the fear at some stage!

the_wes said:
i'd love to come with sometime. the idea of riding dunes actually scares the living crap outta me, but i guess i need to get over the fear at some stage!

Wes I had the same thing!  And when I got stuck by the entrance I nearly turned around but man I'm glad StevO got my bike in there  ;D

Once you get going on the Dunes it's an awesome rinding experience...

the_wes said:
what tires were you guys all running, and how epileptic was the front end?

Front  -  Anakee - 100/90-19  - Slick and hel :) Road tyre (getting my Heidenau's this week)
Rear  -  Sirac    - 130/80-17  - Done 7000km with them....

Pressures were dropped to 1bar for the sand (tyres were hot when pressures were dropped)

You steer with your legs on the sand ( or so I was told  ;) )

I ran Pirreli MT60's almost the same as a Scorp, got me maxxis tyres on now!

Herewith the first 20 pics. No long narrative I'll just mention everybody's name once.

Thanks to Pantsula, you did well with the pictures you took. And to Kamanya, that video is great!

First pics are StevO:

IMG_2751B.jpg

IMG_2756B.jpg

IMG_2763B.jpg

IMG_2767B.jpg

IMG_2781B.jpg

Michiel:

IMG_2786B.jpg

Dogs in a row:

IMG_2790B.jpg

Pantsula:

IMG_2793B.jpg

IMG_2796B.jpg

Yours truly:

IMG_2808B.jpg

IMG_2812B.jpg

IMG_2813B.jpg

IMG_2832B.jpg

IMG_2837B.jpg

IMG_2838B.jpg

IMG_2839B.jpg

And no, Michiel did not make the corner:

IMG_2840B.jpg

IMG_2841B.jpg

EtienneNXR:

IMG_2847B.jpg

IMG_2849B.jpg

More to follow........

In kamanyas vid you can see someone falling,as he is riding down the dune on his way to pantsula.
Who is that?

As to be expected from you Sprocketbek......stunning photos.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Guys what cool pics and AWSUM ride ..... :biggrin:

and thats all on our doorstep.... 8) 8)

Kamanya I love your expressions on the 'óffs'....hehhe.... :ricky:

Mark Hardy said:
As to be expected from you Sprocketbek......stunning photos.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks a lot Mark. You should have been there. Apart from Kamanya's two nose-dive's I also did one. Didn't you also do one last tine you were there?

Control phreak that I am, I took all pics in manual. Not such a good idea, that white sand is very unforgiving as far as exposure goes. If you just turn a bit the lighting is different. And with the action all around you, shutter or aperture priority would have worked better. Ah well next time.

My last batch of pics:

IMG_2930B.jpg

IMG_2934B.jpg

IMG_2942B.jpg

IMG_2945B.jpg

IMG_2947B.jpg

IMG_2950B.jpg

IMG_2958B.jpg

IMG_2963B.jpg

IMG_2966B.jpg

IMG_2967B.jpg

IMG_2968B.jpg

IMG_2969B.jpg

IMG_2974B.jpg

IMG_2976B.jpg

IMG_2980B.jpg

IMG_2983B.jpg

Think the 2nd last pic is my favourite but I should have got the whole shadow in.....

For you Gautengers who like this kind of playing, now that its rained a little would anyone want to join me on a ride through Maraisburg?

Sprocketbek said:

Michiel,

I have noticed that you have started riding more and more every weekend. I also am led to beleive that your riding is getting better. Take a look at this picture, ask yourself what you see wrong?

You know what it is? NO ATGATT.

Please do yourself a favour and get the ATGATT i wouldnt want to see someone getting hurt where the ATGATT could have saved you. All you are currently wearing is a helmet.

I have some old gear that i could pass on if it fits you.

KTM BIGGER said:
Sprocketbek said:

Michiel,

I have noticed that you have started riding more and more every weekend. I also am led to beleive that your riding is getting better. Take a look at this picture, ask yourself what you see wrong?

You know what it is? NO ATGATT.

Please do yourself a favour and get the ATGATT i wouldnt want to see someone getting hurt where the ATGATT could have saved you. All you are currently wearing is a helmet.

I have some old gear that i could pass on if it fits you.

+1000 Michiel your riding seriously impresses me but please GET SOME GEAR - one shot with your foot out I shat myself - how your ankle survived that !!

get kitted out dude - it's worth it  ;)